How to add file into SourceTree Git but not track changes so file remains in repository

Gyuunyuu September 17, 2020

I am quite confused by the several subtle variations of the above question that result in a completely different thing being asked.

Basically I want to add a file into my repository so that whenever I clone my repository this file gets created. However, I do not want any changes to be tracked so basically Git will ignore the changes done to the file AFTER it has been committed into the repository the first time.

I want the file to exist in the repository so it is always created when I clone the repository but, it must not be deleted, but further any changes should be ignored.

How do I achieve this in SourceTree or directly in Git?

1 answer

0 votes
Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2020

You can do it cmd line or in sourcetree, it does not matter. You need to add the file and add a .gitignore file. Then commit it and push it to the remote. Any changes down to the file are ignored by git. Unless you willingly add them.

So adding it into .gitignore will still allow it to remain in the repository?

ok, I just added the file into the gitignore list, however, it still shows up in the unstaged files list in sourcetree.

Using the  git status --ignored does not show it in the Ignored files list :|

The file is added into the repository so it is created when the repository is cloned. But, I want any further changes to be ignored. I don't know if an added file can be ignored using the .gitignore list.

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2020

Sorry I was mistaking, you need to execute the following command:

git update-index --assume-unchanged <file>

This will let git ignore the file locally.

Like Gyuunyuu likes this
Gyuunyuu September 21, 2020

Ok, and how do I know what files have this attribute applied to them?
Is it possible to do this from the SourceTree GUI?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events