It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How edit SourceTree's auto-created visualstudio.com vsts credentials?

Note: I am using embedded git
When connecting to a GIT repo on visualstudio.com, SourceTree seems to automatically store some credentials for VSTS that cannot be edited:

image1.PNG

How do I edit these credentials? Or add non bitbucket/github credentials manually?

The "Add" option only allows you to set bitbucket or github accounts. If I had the ability to add any account, I could create a visualstudio credential how it needs to be by using the add option under the authentication tab.

An additional issue is that a VSTS "Personal access token" is automatically generated. VSTS continually generates a new token whenever I access repos with SourceTree.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
minnsey Atlassian Team Sep 20, 2018

Hi

The entries under Git Saved Passwords are actually managed by the Git Credential Manager for Windows, GCMW, that is part of the Git for Windows distribution.

It is the GCMW that Git asks for credentials and the CMW that will prompt you for them if it needs them and then storing and reading to and from the Windows Credential Manager, WCM, you can see them in there prefixed by 'git:'. you can add/remove them there, but not edit.

For Sourcetree's accounts it will share the credentials you enter in Sourcetree with the GCMW by writing them into the correct place in the WCM. The same credentials can then be used by Git and by Sourcetree for REST calls.

Sourcetree v3.0, currently in beta testing, adds VSTS as an account type along side Bitbucket, GitHub and GitLab

Awesome, thanks Micheal. 

Does the fact that git saved passwords are managed by Git Credential Manager for Windows hold true when using SourceTree's embedded git?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Sourcetree for Windows - CVE-2019-11582 - Remote Code Execution vulnerability

A vulnerability has been published today in regards to Sourcetree for Windows.  The goal of this article is to give you a summary of information we have gathered from Atlassian Community as a st...

4,902 views 0 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you