Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I untrack a file?

Prakash Nadar January 16, 2012

Need to untrack a file that has been tracked accidently? How do I do it?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2012

There currently isn't a function for this (it equates to 'hg forget' and 'git rm --cached'), it's on my list and you can track progress here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-822

[edit] In case anyone doesn't follow the link, this is now implemented and will be part of 1.3.1.

Abderrahim Jami March 9, 2020

Thanks for the reply

0 votes
windwagon January 23, 2012

Here's a workaround until 1.31 comes out if the file is in your local working directory. Quit SourceTree and move the file out of the directory. Start SourceTree again. The file will show up as deleted (grey circle); now "remove" the file (red circle) and commit this change. The file will disappear from the directory listing. Now move the file back into the working directory and it will show up as untracked.

This works in 1.30 beta 3; I haven't tried it in 1.29

Prakash Nadar January 23, 2012

Or you could open the command prompt via sourcetree to the folder where the file is and issue "git rm --cached" on it.

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2012

Right click on the file and "Remove". Then add the file to your .hgignore file

Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2012

Disclaimer. I don't use sourcetree to much especially with mercurial so more of a guess than anything

Prakash Nadar January 17, 2012

Remove seems to say that it will remove the file permananetly, I do not want to do that. I want to keep the file around but untrack it. I know I could do this via command line and in mercurial as well. Just want to know how to do it in sourcetree.

Thanks for your answer though.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events