Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I solve: "Invalid URI: Host name could not be parsed"?

abibtj August 7, 2018

I am trying to install Sourcetree on a Windows 10 machine. But I am not able to proceed beyond the point where I need to specify RootURL: I have tried different formats of URL but I keep getting the following error:

Invalid URI: Host name could not be parsed.

I various URLs including this: https://abibcode@bitbucket.org/abibcode/

I will appreciate if someone can help me out.

Thank you.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
abibtj August 7, 2018

I found an alternative. I used Atlassian account to login. Thank you. 

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 10, 2018

Glad you figured that out!

Have a nice day :) 

Ana

David Parham August 10, 2018

i am getting nowhere. i have a bitbucket account, i can log in and see files. i install Atlassian, i go to Remote>Add an account...i get 3 options, Bitbucket, Bitbucket Server, GitHub. i have a bitbucket account. i try to log in to Atlassian using bitbucket credentials., i get: Invalid URI: Host name could not be parsed. what do i do? if i use Atlassian account, how? i used to log into Atlassian but how would i do it now on this fresh install? it never asks me to Log In to Atlassian, neither does it allow me to choose Atlassian. i loathe using Atlassian, used to always freeze on me. anyone recommend a good set of instructions?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2018

That is incredibly hard to read as a rambling stream of consciousness, could you at least attempt to punctuate and structure your text next time?

>i have a bitbucket account, i can log in and see files.

Log into what?  Your installed server or the Cloud?  A lot of the rest of your questions depend on us knowing that.

>i install Atlassian,

Atlassian is an organisation, not software.  What application have you installed?

David Parham August 13, 2018

lol, my apologies. Can you advise re SourceTree? Its Help displays Atlassian copyright 2012-2018, SourceTree v2.6.10. If you support this product then read on: I have a bitbucket account, i can log in there just fine, into bitbucket.org. Next, I start my "SourceTreeSetup-2.6.10.exe", it's already installed so the SourceTree v2.6.10 windows desktop client opens. Nothing is configured, I bypassed all that due to errors or inability to authenticate. I do not see SourceTree in my Windows 10 apps list, perhaps because it is not fully configured, I don't know. I am actually starting it via the .exe file. But it opens, now I go to "Clone from a remote repo". I enter my remote repo address: git clone git@bitbucket.org:domain/repofoldername.git that i copied from Bitbucket. Then in SourceTree I try using protocols HTTP and SSH, enter id and pw i use to log into my remote repo, and I get the error, "Invalid URI: hostname could not be parsed".

I hope this helps, at least to where you can direct me with more questions towards getting a remote repo cloned to my local machine. Thank you!

Additional information: when trying to Clone a remote repo, I have copied the repo URL from bitbucket [SSH], then in SourceTree "Edit Hosting Account" I use Hosting Service: Bitbucket, Host URL: https://bitbucket.org/ [autopopulated and grayed out], Protocol: SSH, then Basic authentication with my username, then password. If I copy the repo address using HTTP, I try that on the Host Account window - SSH and HTTP each fails with the Invalid URI error.

UPDATE - the ID I use to log into Bitbucket resolves to an ID that is different, not sure why I set it up that way; but I tried that other "resolved" ID from Bitbucket, and am a step further in the process, I got "Authentication OK". Now i need to study some tutorials on how to use SourceTree.

Thank you for your patience. I've been frustrated with Version Control for over a year here, and really want to be good at it. I just got my PC rebuilt and wanted to start afresh, and the Authentication weirdness with the 2 ID's had me stumped and frustrated all over again.

0 votes

SOLVED. adding to the complexity of all this is the fact that i log into Bitbucket with an email address which then resolves to an ID; then there are 2 repos in the account with the same name, and each is associated with its unique ID. not that a poorly constructed Bitbucket account should be part of anyone's instructions, but it's something else to think about when troubleshooting. i managed to get through it. once i knew which id was associated with the correct repo, it cloned down to my local box. thanks for being there ;}.

0 votes

I had 15 minutes of material go missing from this post, adding it back quickly - I am trying to Clone a Repo:
SourceTree[1]-clone.png

It shows that the repo type is a Git Repository. When I press Clone, it goes quickly back to my main tab where Working Copy shows no files, in fact no files show anywhere. Then when I try a Pull - SourceTree-pull.png
I then get an error:SourceTree-pull2.png
I simply want to open SourceTree, Clone a Repo, bring files down to my local from remote, edit files locally, then Stage and Commit files to remote. Can you help me with this? Thank you! 

I believe I needed to do a Fetch, just tried that:SourceTree[3.5]Fetch.png

And got this msg:SourceTree[4]Fetch.pngNow, Working Copy is still blank; but REMOTES has "origin" but it shows no files.

So, I did this: Tools>Options>Git>and tried Embedded, updating Embedded - to no avail. Chose System, and that msg at least shows something better - yet my origin is still blank:SourceTree-Fetch1.png

But again, origins is blank. Does anyone there have a set of working instructions?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events