I'm trying SourceTree for the first time, with version 2.6.3 (134). Not a big Terminal expert, so hoping this GUI would help my workflow. I've searched the community postings on authentication issues, but all are either older posts (from previous software versions), or don't fully relate to my situation somehow.
I'm not able to get it to authenticate properly. I know my login (email address) and password work on bitbucket.org, and the first time that SourceTree prompts me with a login during the wizard setup, it also authenticates properly.
The problem begins when I'm viewing my remote repository list and click on "clone" for one of them. It brings up a login screen, and no matter how many times I try to login, it keeps giving me either an error message, or bringing up the login page again.
In this scenario, my login is grayed out (pre-filled) with my username, which is different than my email address.
Can anybody please help me? I'm getting close to giving up and either trying another GUI choice out there, or struggling through Terminal.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hi Rob! Can you send us a screenshot of what's happening?
Also, when you get the prompt with the username field greyed out, have you tried entering your password? Do you get an error?
For troubleshooting purposes, could you try cloning that repo in the terminal and see what happens? (To identify if this could be an issue with Sourcetree or with the authentication itself).
Thank you for your reply, and sorry for submitting my support question right before going on a week-long vacation. :(
Ok, so I tried the sequence again, this time capturing screenshots as requested.
1. I open up SourceTree, and I'm taken to the "Local" repository tab, which is empty at this point. When I click on the "Remote" tab next to it, I see this login screen. You'll notice the grayed-out username of "robertfuste", even though I always sign in to bitbucket.org with my email address instead.
Nonetheless, I enter my password, which I confirmed before works on bitbucket.org.
2. After attempting the first sign-in, I get the following error:
3. After I click on the "Ok" button, I get an empty "Remote" screen. So when I switch to the "Local" tab and back to the "Remote" tab again, I'm greeted this time with a different sign-in screen:
4. I enter my credentials (this time using my email address), and this is the error message I get:
5. When I click on the "Sign In" button, I get the login screen again, and now I'm stuck in a loop:
I have uninstalled BitBucket, and re-installed it, to see if that would help, but the same steps get repeated.
So if you're able to step me through what I might be doing wrong, I'd be much appreciative.
Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.Learn more
Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs