Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set default web browser?

BartTheBoxer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 22, 2021

When I click on the "Remote" icon, I get an error message:  "Unable to open your web browser to 'git@github.com:xxx', do you have a default web browser set?"

Where "xxx" is the name of a remote repository on github.com (which does exist).

How do I get past this?

1 answer

1 vote
Rod Dewell December 20, 2022

This problem has nothing to do with the default browser.  When you click on the Remote-Globe icon it will attempt to redirect you to the remote server that is defined in the Repository Settings Optional extended integration window.

To reach this window click the Repository pull-down Menu, Select Repository Settings.. and you will see the Repository Settings Popup menu.  From the Remotes Tab select the "origin" line that contains the path to the remote depository.  Then click on edit, and the "Remote Details" popup window should appear. 

From the "Remote Details" popup window you can select the public Bitbucket, GitHub, Unknown, or Bitbucket-Server as your Host Type.  If you select "Bitbucket-Server" you will be able to enter the Host Root URL of your remote server under "Legacy Account Settings", aka "default brower"

Once this is done, you should be able to click on the Remote-Globe icon and start a browser view of the remote repository.  It may be necessary to enter your host's username and password too.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events