How do I resolve a "smudge error"? Edited

I'm running the latest version of SourceTree with git LFS in Windows 10. I'm trying to check out a new branch created by a colleague. Every time I try, I get the following message:

Error downloading object: Binaries/Win64/UE4Editor-ModernStoryteller01.dll (f109566): Smudge error: Error downloading Binaries/Win64/UE4Editor-ModernStoryteller01.dll (f109566e566f3e968348dd53eb8f92ad25fcbd285cf0504b6585ce2a755401a5): LFS: Get https://media-api.atlassian.io/file/9d01de26-2749-4291-aa3b-b20788d92377/binary: dial tcp 65.151.186.127:443: connectex: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

I have no idea what this means or how to fix it. I don't have any issues checking out any other branches, and my internet connection is stable.

2 answers

0 vote

Hi Nick! I've done some research and looks like this error means that the server is not listening at the specified ip/port that you are trying to connect to. It can be caused by using the wrong IP address or the wrong protocol. From your error message, looks like Sourcetree fails to connect to 65.151.186.127 on port 443. Can you also make sure the URL you're using is the right one? It redirects me to Facebook from some reason, and times out. 

If you keep having issues, can you try performing the same operation directly from the command line instead of using Sourcetree? You can use the following to get a verbose output:

set GIT_TRACE_PACKET=1 set GIT_TRACE=1 set GIT_CURL_VERBOSE=1

Let us know if this helped you!

Ana

Thanks Ana. See my update below.

On further research and ping traces I discovered there were Atlassian servers I couldn't reach via my ISP (a colleague using the same ISP had the same problem). I reported it to my ISP and the next day it worked fine.

I'm glad to hear that and thanks for sharing this with us!

Have a good day :)

Ana

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

794 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you