How do I remove an unpushed commit in SourceTree?

Hi, I'm using SourceTree with a Bitbucket repository. I recently made a bunch of experimental changes to my working copy, most of which I never want to check in. I eventually decided that it would be easiest to just reset my working copy to my last commit and start fresh from there–deleting any files I had added and undoing any changes I'd made to files already in the repository. I looked at some questions on-line, and it sounded like I could do this with remove and discard commands. This didn't work like I expected. I ended up with an unpushed commit in Sourcetree that looks like it deletes the files I merely wanted to remove changes from, and indeed, these were missing in my working copy. (I did make a local backup first, just in case.) Eventually, I was able to do a Checkout command on my last pushed commit, and got my working copy back to what I wanted.

So at the moment, my working copy has what I want, and the on-line repository has what I want. But when I open SourceTree, it still shows the unpushed commit, and I'm not sure how to get rid of it. Maybe I could push it and revert it somehow, but I'd prefer to just never push it to the on-line repository. I thought maybe I could use the command "Reset current branch to this commit", but it's not available when I right click on the last commit I pushed. The unpushed commit is marked as "master" and "1 ahead". The last pushed commit is marked as "HEAD" and "origin/master".

In case that description wasn't clear, I'll also include a screenshot of what I'm looking at. Thanks for any help!

SourceTreeScreenshot.png

3 answers

As I said, if I right clicked on the commit I wanted, the option "Reset current branch to this commit" was light grey and could not be selected. But I did finally figure it out. I had a "detached HEAD". I had to first use the command:

git checkout master

Only then could I use the command:

git reset --hard 564a24f

to get rid of the unpushed commit.

I wasn't familiar with the concept of a "detached HEAD", which made it difficult to search for a solution. But after some very circuitous searching, I found this page useful:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10228760/fix-a-git-detached-head

Thanks! It saves my day!

It isn't possible in SourceTree via GUI-Elements.

You have to open a Terminal in SourceTree and do this via commandline as described above.

According to Izhar Aazmi's comment it II possible - You never stop learning .... wink

I have written a detailed article with screenshots. Sharing in hope that it would help: https://www.attosol.com/undo-in-git-using-sourcetree/

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

234 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot