Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I make a new directory when I deleted my old one?

BakedYams December 5, 2014

I'm using SourceTree on Windows 8 with GitHub and me and my friend are having some issues with it. I deleted my only link to the original master and I can't reconnect to it with any other folders. I'm a complete novice so I'm sorry for the lack of terminologies known for SourceTree. Essentially what I want to do it sync my folder (which has an updated game) to my friends repository (which has its own updates and we want to merge the branches so that both of us are have overlap with the new changes and still maintain the older stuff). We haven't updated master in 5 months so its useless to get it from that. As I said earlier, for some reason, I cannot connect to the repository he made.... Been at this for more than 4 hours. Thanks for the help in advance and sorry for my lack of knowledge on programming!

5 answers

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2014

Yes, show the hidden files. Each repository has a "hidden" .git directory. If you decide to move your repository to a new location, you need to make sure that hidden directory goes with it.

0 votes
BakedYams December 7, 2014

At the moment, "Don't show hidden files, folders, or drives". What would you suggest I do after knowing this, show the hidden files? Please respond, since this is a new account, I can only make three posts a day, which is why I responded more than a day later. Any help will be appreciated.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2014

Do you have Windows set to show hidden files and folders?

0 votes
BakedYams December 5, 2014

Sorry for the lack of clarity, I rushed writing the question. SourceTree has been freezing on me a lot recently so it was kind of difficult trying to remember what the exact errors were. I try adding a new repository so that it can sync to a to my friend's own repository. We originally had the master repository which hasn't been touched and we individually had our own remotes (can't really tell what this does but we do have our own branches, even though I deleted my old repository, it is still there) that we worked on and would regularly update each others by merging and committing our branches. Later on, I made a new folder that would hold all of the old information on my older repository, I still kept the old one but tried changing my old repository's folder on my laptop to my new one so I can fetch/pull any changes and apply it to my new folder. Sadly that was not working and it was updating the older one which was lagging far behind in terms of changes I've made to the code in GameMaker. Out of desperation and impatience, I deleted the old files in hopes SourceTree would recognize that there was no data in the folder and would prompt me to find a new folder that had it (I deleted my entire repository as you said), sadly that didn't happen. Now I'm stuck in trying to change the folder my repository is linked to. I hope I clarified my issue, if you still need more details, please do ask.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2014

First of all, are you getting any error messages? If so, please copy and paste those into your question, and explain what you're clicking/typing that triggers the error. Secondly, I understand you aren't familiar with Git terminology, but the lack makes your question very confusing. You deleted a "directory" or a "link" to the "original master". My best guess is that you deleted your entire repository? Please provide some more detail to help clarify.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events