Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I install sourcetree for all users?

red888 January 31, 2017

I installed sourcetree with the windows installer.

It put it in C:\Users\MYAccount\AppData\Local\SourceTree\ so I am the only user on this machine that can run it

Windows installers usually ask if you want the program to be installed for all users or not (maybe I missed that check box or something).

So I want to reinstall it.

1. I went to add remove programs and uninstalled it
  2. It seemed to uninstall
  3. But when I click on the package to install it again it just opens sourcetree (which I though I uninstalled)

Before I start just deleted folders and removing reg keys I might as well ask, is it possible to safely remove this program in a supported way and reinstall it for all users?

8 answers

13 votes
Fabian Duchesne March 10, 2017

Can we get an answer on this? I have the same problem

P April 4, 2017

Same question, please respond!

Welly Hong June 9, 2017

Is it doable? Same question here. Thank you,

srctree December 5, 2017

Bumping this thread.

I have the same issue as above. Multiple developers sharing the same workstation, and since SourceTree v2  each user has to install the application separately (and apply updates).

Can we please have the option for the Administrator to install once for all users in the usual Program Files folder tree.

4 votes
jonfalkner March 28, 2018

Well, just had to switch my entire team to GitExtensions and drop SourceTree because of this, even though we use Atlassian BitBucket Server in-house.

Our team uses VMWare systems which create a snapshot baseline, and each time a user logs off, the system resets. We synchronize the user's profile to our network drive so that the system feels like some things persist. SourceTree installs into the AppData folder, which means that each new user must manually install SourceTree or they won't be able to use it. Additionally, this causes our system to sync a fulll copy of SourceTree for each user. This defeats the whole point of centralized management of software - we cannot control the version of SourceTree used by users, cannot update the version of SourceTree for all users in a single step, and since our security restricts executing applications from a user's profile folder, the users cannot use SourceTree.

Terrible move, Atlassian. Now that we don't have the entire stack as Atlassian products, we're seriously looking at a separate integrated stack, such as VSTS (replaces JIRA, replaces Confluence, replaces BitBucket), using GitExtensions and Visual Studio for client side git management.

This simple application architecture issue that is being ignored by Atlassian may result in Atlassian losing a lot of income if we eventually have to switch to a different integration stack.

3 votes
pcraven August 28, 2017

Installing under a user profile is not workable at an educational institution. Please fix this.

3 votes
Josef Micka June 13, 2017

so it's almost half year since report, and there is no solution yet?

atlassian in %localappdata% is unusable

we have computers, that are shared by developers and don't want everyone to install own copy of software.

2 votes
Josef Micka August 30, 2017

So will Atlassian listen to customers and make product, that can be deployed trough central deployment again, like was version before 2.0 or should we look for another product?

1 vote
Humayun Kabir Foysol August 8, 2017

I have the same question as well. Why the hell no one is answering this? Winter is already here guys. Long night is waiting for us. Please hurry. 

0 votes
J_ Cole April 7, 2022

This can be marked resolved. SourceTree for Windows Enterprise is now available since 2018. For more information and to download: https://blog.sourcetreeapp.com/2018/04/24/sourcetree-for-windows-enterprise-now-available/

0 votes
J_ Cole April 6, 2022

I am having this same issue. Is there not a machine-wide installer available yet for SourceTree?

Josef Micka April 8, 2022

Did you tried that enterprise installer, because it doesn't work for me. After installing it, it doesn't launch.

i ended removing it, and installing community edition again.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events