Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I have an SSH key added to Pageant on SourceTree load?

adamscoble January 14, 2019

Hi all,

I recently installed SourceTree on my laptop, and it asked if I wanted to add an SSH key, which I did. Now, each time I open SourceTree I am prompted by Pageant automatically for the password for the key. However on my desktop I have to manually open Pageant and add the key myself.

How do I configure it to automatically add the key and prompt for a password, without having that dialogue box? I tried adding it to the SSH Client Configuration in Tools -> Options, however that doesn't seem to work.

Any help greatly appreciated!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
adamscoble January 21, 2019

Actually, I lied. I just tried adding it in Tools -> Options again, removed the key from Pageant, closed Pageant and restarted SourceTree and it popped up. Not sure what I did before (perhaps I didn't restart everything properly), my apologies!

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2019

Glad you figure it out, Adam :) 

Have a good day.

0 votes
uzair ahmed April 24, 2019

just go to tools->options->general->SSH Client Configuration and add the path to your SSH key, now whenever you open sourcetree it will prompt you to enter passphrase for you key and load it automatically (Version 3.0.17Screenshot (15)_LI.jpg)

Nate May 19, 2021

Is there a way to save the passphrase without that prompt window?

Like Mislav Karanusic likes this
0 votes
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2019

Hi Adam!

Did you already try the steps listed in the article Set up SSH key with Sourcetree? (There's an option for loading an existing key).

Let us know!

Ana

adamscoble January 21, 2019

Hi Ana,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not having an issue with setting up SSH, it's that when I open SourceTree on my laptop Pageant pops up automatically with the private key selected and I need to enter the password.

Whereas on my desktop I need to manually add it each time. I'm wondering how to have it auto added.

Forgive me if I'm missing something in the article you linked, but I can't seem to find how to solve this in there. I'd have thought adding it to the Tools -> Options section would fix it, but it doesn't seem to.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events