How do I get the file tree back?

Sourcetree 1.9.x completely changed the file selection UI. How do I get the tree back? There no longer seems to be an option to display files within their directories in a tree.

47 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

I have added a number of Jira requests for the issues. Please vote up the ones you care about:

Changes are staged automatically after upgrading to 1.9
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2255

Bring back filename view
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2257

Restore Amend Commit checkbox
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2258

Fix scrolling for staging area
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2259

Move commit message history button to the top
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2260

Hunks all run together in 1.9 diff view
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2261

If only I could log in to vote :(

I agree with most above: new UI feels like a step backwards, not forwards. No staged files view?!

I can't log in to vote :(

Jira declares an error when I try to login :-)

Downgrading to 1.8.1. Horrible update:

- TreeView is missing.

- No staging area.

- Updating the window (pending files) takes way too long (nearly 2 mins here to catch up with the changes in the file!)!

- UI is taking to much space anyway.

+ 1 I dont undertand this chage: tree view is probably the main reason I would use SourceTree at all...

I've used SourceTree for a few years and have never used the tree view. It's the REST of the new UI that I have a problem with...

Some horrible changes in this update indeed. No column view in the file lists is deffinitely the worst of all. I think I'll downgrade to 1.8.1 for now :(

Why would you touch the basic UI functionalities while they work really well and people love them? Haven't you learnt anything from Microsoft's Metro interface? ;) Don't innovate just for the sake of the innovation.

I hope these issues will be fixed soon.

I didn't last 10 minutes with 1.9.1... Here's the old version for those who agree the new UI has no purpose in life:
http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/SourceTree_1.8.1.dmg

(I couldn't find the windows version but it should be around there)

OK, after 1h of searching through all the menu options, I found it by looking at a screenshot of the new version...

The top of the panel that shows the commit details can be pulled down to reveal the files. For some reason, this section was pulled-up all the way, making it impossible to see and extremely hard to discover, but now that I've pulled it down, I can't pull it back up all the way.

You can see it the files in this view: http://sourcetreeapp.com/images/sourcetree-hero-mac-log.png

Yeah, but that's still only flat view, it doesn't show tree or column view!

Agree. What happened to tree and column view? Those were super useful. This really is more like a UI regression.

I agree, this new view is pure BS. At least, I can see the files.

Thanks for the pointer to v1.8.1, I'll go back to this version right away!

To be clear, when I first launched 1.9, the entire file panel was simply invisible (no even a hint of where it was). I just could not see *any* file or where that panel was. It was the only panel I could see in 1.8.1, as the revision details panel was invible in 1.8.1, and I had to grab the top of the only view there was in 1.9, the revision details view, to make the file panel appear at all. Now that I'm happily back in 1.8.1, I can see both the files & the revision details panel, which I never saw before!

Which doesn't mean that now that I can see my files, all my problems are gone. I pretty much agree that all these UI changes are regressions, a share of which are dealbreakers (separate staging section, tree view, maybe more).

Similar thing happened with me, but i noticed i could expand the missing panel slightly (seems randomly, like there's something preventing my drag and drop). Ultimately, I can't give 1.9 a fair shot right now, since my paths seem to be longer than normal, and most of the files listen in the panel look like this:

..asViewHelper.java

Worst GUI update ever. Very hard to understand what's going on, tree view gone, things seem to auto-stage when you press select checkboxes, it's maddening. Why oh why

This is not an answer. Please vote up the issues that you would like to see changed using the links in the accepted answers.

OMG, I used to love this tool, now I hate it. How can an update go so bad, so quickly?

(corss-posted from the blog)

Rather than reply to every comment here I thought I'd respond here at the top level. Firstly, apologies to people who don't like the changes in this update. We always knew it might be controversial with some people, although we genuinely felt that after doing user tests and using it ourselves internally for many weeks that after an adjustment period, it felt better. I hope you give it some time, try the alternate approaches, but if you still feel strongly, the previous version is still available here:http://downloads.atlassian.com...

We're making some small refinements and fixes for 1.9.1, and we'll be reviewing all the feedback for future updates. Changes to a core UI component which hasn't altered much in over 2 years is always going to be tough, but there were definitely things to address when it came to new users (particularly those new to git). We thought we'd got the balance right between making it easier for new users while retaining the preferences of more advanced users - which includes us! - but your feedback is useful in gauging the success of that in the 'real world' of course. Thanks for your feedback, and for your patience; we all want to make SourceTree the best tool for everyone.

Like the comment on this issue (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2267), I'd say that these changes wouldn't make it easier for a new user either.

We are five users here in my office, and we are all very disappointed with the new working copy and commit windows. You can't even select multiple files.

The blog Steve posted states that you can select multiple files (try Cmd+Click and Shift+Click), then press the space bar to check (or uncheck) them all.

Thanks, that does work, and it's incredibly bad GUI design! How should I have known?

I honestly find it a horrible step back. Having separate scrolling lists/tree view for stage/modified files was a great workflow.

Sometimes I have huge commits (I'm a unity devleoper, so import packages with hundreds of files).

Not being able to have a tree view just kills it, the same as not being able to see what's being staged.

Considering the old view is working really well, and has use cases for many users (there's quite a few voices here and on Jira), would it really hurt you guys to have an option for both?

It might be we can come to terms with the new view also if it at least had a tree view? (though I personally struggle with it regardless - it hangs, it's buggy, it's not really doing the things I want.. it's just a pita to be honest).

What alternative tools are people exploring?

Github for mac is an obvious option. I'll stick with my 1.8.1 for now; and if this change seems permanent with no means of viewing tree/separate scrolling for stages/changed then as an iOS and Unity3d developer I'll have no choice but to try out github for mac...

EDIT: I just tried out 10.8.1.. like ice water in a desert... (phew)

Unfortunatly, I have to revert to 1.8.1 too. Working without treeview is too dificullt and dangerous for me. Looking forward to return it in a next release.

Years later, they update the Windows version. New horrible UI. And no tree view. The only two functions I really used from SourceTree were the treeView and the Branches graphical Log / History (you should remove that too, Atlassian, that would be another great move). 

And they left the Switch View icon, but with no options but the default, like saying "Look, here you could do things before". 

SourceTree 1.8.1

Enhancements

• Atlassian account: Use existing Atlassian credentials to login to SourceTree or create a new account here.
  • Git LFS: Automatically install LFS tools, initialize LFS for repositories, and modify what file types to track
  • UI Updates: Icon refresh, and streamlined toolbar
  • Performance updates:
    • Improved rendering of the diff view
    • Deprecated Fluid Staging view in the file status view
    • Deprecated Tree File Listing in File Status and Log Views
    • Refactored code base to allow for separation of services within the application

I still don't get how removing Tree File Listing counts as an enhancement...

after moths of pushing to have it on windows too... unbelivable

Actual options, not tree view present

old.png

Older version , tree view present.

current.png

There are a lot of people in the forum experimenting the same issue.

I really appreciate is there a way to have the tree view back.

I second that! Tree is gone, and column view is gone. I wonder how anyone can work like this??

See also: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/289244/how-to-get-column-view-in-file-status-view-in-1-9-0

Yes, this update is maddening! Who the hell thought it was a good idea to make this change!

Reviewing diffs, mine or others', using the tree view is the single most important thing I use SourceTree for! In facts, most days, that's the only thing I use SourceTree for...

So now, how do I revert to the previous version? I can't find it...

IMHO that's no reason why Mac users should now put up with the limits of the Windows version.

I can't help chuckling to myself, because the file selection UI you are describing has been the only UI ever available in the Windows version of SourceTree.

It is very annoying, the easiest way to find a specific file is to start typing its name into the search box. If you are focused on modified files, just set the filter to "Show Pending".

While we're at it, how do you hide the distracting lines between file names? Reading a long list of path names with separator lines makes it harder to group them by directory as you're reading. Plus, it fits fewer files. This product is for developers, not average people, and we like file and directory listings where we can see more, not less. The lines serve no purpose other than visual clutter.

And ... how do I get the view where one column is the filename and the other column is the path (or directory)? That was super useful! Now I have to make the left pane really wide in order for it to show me the filename, which shrinks the diff to way too small on my laptop screen. Yeah, it's not much of an issue on my big screen, but I also work on my laptop.

Really, what were they thinking?

I spent some more time trying out 1.9. There are worse problems than the loss of the file tree.

Their "improved commit" experience is worse (or buggy, or both). Files sometimes automatically stage themselves when you change them.

Before, it was really convenient to look at the list of staged and unstaged files together, since they both scrolled separately. I use staging all the time while I'm working to snapshot a good (but not commitable) state while I continue to make changes. Now, staged and unstaged is one scrolling list, so I can't see both together.

The new diff view is not better -- it's worse. The wide gray bars are harder to distinguish from the pastel pink and light green bars for the diffs than the sharp deliniation we had before before. It is useful to see the hunk deliniations because it indicates a jump to another location in the file.

The commit options are worse, buried in a menu when there is plenty of room for them. I use Amend commit all the time, just like staging. I stage, stage, commit, stage, stage, amend commit, ..., push. This makes it easy for me to forget to amend. And they made the "push immediately" option, which I personally never use, really prominent.

Putting the entire commit pane at the bottom makes the commit comment history popup appear broken. Nice.

We paid for copies of SourceTree for everyone in the company before it became free. I've been really happy with it. But this is a downgrade.

So ... I just UPGRADED back to 1.8.1. 1.9.x is going to need a lot of work before I consider using it.

Terrible update! Reverted back to 1.8.1 and will be staying there until this BS is sorted
Terrible update! Reverted back to 1.8.1 and will be staying there until this BS is sorted

Have any of you opened a bug report/feature request at jira.atlassian.com? If so, please post it here as an answer so everyone in this discussion can vote it up.

Roy and Kaveh, you should convert your comment (bug reports) to answers. Kevah can them mark them both as the right answers.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

876 views 2 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you