How do I fix this 'dangling' feature?

Hi,

I am using the GitFlow, menus.  I started a feature, completed it, and then tried to end the feature in SourceTree.  This failed with an error.  The error was just some kind of permissions problem on files that should have been ignored in the first place.

I have now ignored the offending files, but I now don't have the option to finish the feature.  Worse, if I try a manual merge, I get the same error that caused the problem in the first place.

I have included an image of the current state of the branch tree.  Can anyone help me to tidy this up, please?

SourceTree.PNG

Kind wishes ~ Patrick

2 answers

Try using the Discard button.

Thank you for the answer, Seth.  It is currently greyed-out, but that could be because of my attempts to fix the problem.  Not used that button before. Always been scared of it.  I'll have to read the docs about it.

I think I have fixed my problem another way.  The actual error I was getting was a stat error (as discussed here stat-file-permission-denied).  It suggested that it could be a file-locking issue, so I closed Visual Studio and the error went away.  I was then able to finish the feature by doing the merges manually.  I'm pretty sure the project and even the history are how they should be.

Funny, even back in the days when I used SourceSafe (no longer around), which was  Microsoft product, I recall that the only really safe way to do large source control operations was to close Visual Studio first.

• Patrick

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

406 views 0 1
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you