Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find the repository created by SourceTree?

Robert Antonellis April 9, 2012

I just installed SourceTree on Mac Lion and created the repository. It's all working since I have a few test check-ins logged. But I can not find the repository. I need this so I can back up the file.

Thanks.

3 answers

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2012

Yes, Time Machine backs up all files including hidden ones.

0 votes
Robert Antonellis April 9, 2012

Thanks. Until I sign up for BitBucket, does TimeMachine back up those hidden files created by SourceTree?

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2012

When you create a Git or Mercurial repository, you actually do it in the same folder as the source files that you're putting under version control. So the repository is contained in a hidden folder called '.git' or '.hg' underneath that source folder. Finder doesn't display hidden folders by default, but it's there; if you want to quickly jump to your source folder in Finder, you can do it from the Actions Menu > Show in Finder, or you can also do Actions Menu > Open In Terminal, where 'ls -la' will show you the hidden .hg or .git folders. This is standard behaviour for Mercurlal and Git.

As far as backing up, the best way to do that is to push your changes to a server. If you're looking for convenience, Bitbucket allows you an unlimited number of private repositories for free (up to 5 users), so that's a good way to make sure your projects are backed up: https://bitbucket.org

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events