How do I configure Sourcetree to use UltraCompare for diff and merge on my mac

Been using Sourcetree for my GIT repos because its SWEET! Recently picked up UltraCompare (part of UltraEdit) because I needed a good diff toll on the mac (and linux and win boxes). UC looks capable of doing diffs and merges, but I can't seem to get Sourcetree to use it. Are there instructions somewhere for setting it up? Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

The updated command is now:

/Applications/UltraCompareX.app/Contents/MacOS/UltraCompareX

cheers

Hi Mark,

SourceTree is able to do this, I've just had a bash myself doing this using UltraCompare. As is standard, UltraCompare is installed to /Applications/UltraCompare.app/ so what you want to do is to go into SourceTree's preferences and go to the "diff" tab. In here, change the "Visual Diff Tool" drop-down to "Other" then set the "Diff Command" to be /Applications/UltraCompare.app/Contents/MacOS/UltraCompare and then set the arguments to be $LOCAL $REMOTE (as shown in the screenshot). Then when you do a diff, UltraCompare will open instead. Below is a screenshot of my setup which I tested:

If you need any further help, just ask :)

(note: the diff options for UltraCompare are here: http://www.ultraedit.com/help/article/command-line-options-49.html)

You're welcome, thanks very much!

Kieran,

Thank you! There it is. I tried UltraCompare, UltraCompare.app, and /Applications/UltraCompare.app. It never struck me to drill into the app package for the executable. Excellent sleuthing! I guess, SourceTree being a Mac app, I expected it to do some of that digging for us. ;o) If the author would come out with a Linux port, I'd bake him a cake! SourceTree seriously rocks. Now to chase down the UC command line for merge and conflict resolution using the link you provided. Thanks again!!

Mark

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

273 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot