Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can SourceTree be used on a machine that does NOT have internet access?

Mark Kamoski January 15, 2020

SourceTree Users, 

Please help.

How can SourceTree be used on a machine that does NOT have internet access?

Please advise.

I have a machine that cannot access the internet, and on its my LAN but cannot connect to the web at all, by design.

Right after install, SourceTree is prompting me for "Registration" by saying "SourceTree... requires a one-time registration using your Atlassian BitBucket account" and so on, but I cannot do that on the target machine, so what are the implications, workarounds, etc?

Thanks.

-- Mark Kamoski

3 answers

0 votes
Mark Kamoski January 17, 2020

Atlassian needs to develop a hybrid verification process.

I am thinking about something similar to what Microsoft did a few years ago with Visual Web Developer, VWD. Y

could install the  VWD product start using it right away but you had to register it within 30 days.

Theprocess of registration required going to a Microsoft site logging in and getting a key. 

One could take that key and then move it to any machine and use it on that machine and everything works fine and the target machine did not have to be on the internet.

Additionally the key could expire in say 30 days so that one would have to go and get a new key every 30 days and that way Atlassian would be assured that people are continuing to use that selfsame install and they could put in their old key and get a new key or something like that and they would be able to track users that way.

I think this is the best of both worlds where the company gets to have registered users who are real and whom they know are  using their products so they can track their user base.

Also it lets people who work offline continue to do so while using great Atlassian products. 

Please Atlassian.

0 votes
Tonia Kuck January 17, 2020

We are in the same boat. Still running 1.622 because we are in a completely off-line environment. We would love to upgrade if Atlassian provides us an option, otherwise we are getting to the point where we will need to research non-internet dependent (ie, non-SourceTree) options.

0 votes
Jon Rurka January 15, 2020

Basically SourceTree is garbage now because it requires login. Today, I got another semi-regular "you have to re-setup SourceTree because the cache was corrupted" message, except when I went to login to BitBucket, I found that login now crashes the client during setup. I'm looking for and installing a new Git client because SourceTree is now useless and I suggest you and everybody do the same because Atlassian decided to force us to do a useless sign in without giveing a skip option.

Craig January 16, 2020

do you have any examples for this? Particularly ones that are Education friendly.

Mark Kamoski January 16, 2020

I don't want my server hacked for my non-profit company.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events