How can I programatically determine if I am using embedded git in sourcetree?

Is there a way to determine if a windows user is using embedded or system git in sourcetree by examining a config file or running any commands in a terminal? I am aware of how to determine this by looking in Tools-> Options -> Git. However, this does not meet the needs of our shop as several of the custom git hooks we use are just incompatible with the embedded git. We have a tool that will detect incorrect configuration issues in most of our applications and I would like to be able to check to see if someone is using embedded git.

Are there any config files that show if it is enabled or not? The closest thing I can figure out is looking for the git_local folder but once its been enabled this folder is present even if the user switches back to using system git.

1 answer

1 accepted

ok found it. In %APPDATA%\local\Atlassian\Sourcetree.exe_hashHere\versionNum\user.config there is a line:

<setting name="GitWhichOne" serializeAs="String">
<value>1</value>

which has a 1 for system git and 0 for embedded

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

274 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot