It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I get External Diff to work in SourceTree?

I have read all the other posts about setting up the External Diff.  For some reason I can't seem to get it to work.  I have version 2.5.5.0 SourceTree and Embedded GIT 2.16.2+git-lfs v2.3.4.  Windows 10.  My "Allow SourceTree to modify your local GIT" is set to TRUE.

I am trying to create a custom External Diff tool by calling a batch file from SourceTree with the Local and Remote tags.  In Tools>Options>Diff I set the Diff tool to custom

My Batch File is :

echo %1
echo %2
pause

My hope is that I can see if the path are relative or absolute.  I would then pass this to another application to open these files for a visual comparison.  The Batch file NEVER opens because I never see the CMD window.  I even pointed this to an EXE that would display the Arguments.  It is never opening the "Custom" Diff tool.

Another point of concern is I was hoping to right click on a file and select External Diff(Ctrl+D) but this is grayed out.  Even if I select "Beyond Compare"  as my diff tool it is always grayed out.  Beyond Compare works fine as a diff tool, except that my files are binary and Beyond Compare can't read them.

1 answer

0 votes
Mike Corsaro Atlassian Team May 08, 2018

Hello! You're not seeing the command-line prompt open because it's running the bat file as a process without output. You can test that a custom diff is working by making a BAT file that just has "notepad.exe" in it: notepad should open when running the diff.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Sourcetree for Windows - CVE-2019-11582 - Remote Code Execution vulnerability

A vulnerability has been published today in regards to Sourcetree for Windows.  The goal of this article is to give you a summary of information we have gathered from Atlassian Community as a st...

4,895 views 0 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you