How can I do "git svn dcommit" on a single branch?

Nathan Gray October 6, 2011

I'm using SourceTree to connect with my comany's svn server. I want to commit some changes on one of my branches. I click "Push" and get a sheet that looks to me like it's locked into pushing all tracked branches, which is definitely not what I want. Is there some way to change that?

Also, why don't my remote svn branches show up under Remotes?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2011

The 'All Tracked Branches' comment in the window is actually misleading; 'git svn dcommit' in fact only sends commits for your current HEAD (ie only your currently checked out branch). I'll change the text so that's clearer.

The original reason the svn remote / branches are not shown in the sidebar was because you can't operate on them the same way as for a git remote, but they do have one use - checking out extra branches if you cloned from the root. Right now you can only do this from the log window. I'll log a feature request to allow this from the sidebar too (a much more restricted feature set than regular remote branches).

Nathan Gray December 13, 2011

Looking at the latest version the messaging is much more clear, so that's a big improvement. Nice!

However, the inability to see the svn branches is crippling. It leaves me flying blind -- what are the available branches? How do I check them out? How do I jump to them in the history list? I'm glad that you filed a feature request for that and I hope you are able to address it soon, because I'm afraid I can't use sourcetree for git-svn development without it.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2011

The only way you'd ever see all the branches is if you'd cloned from the root of the svn repo (from the parent of /trunk, /branches etc).

Generally though, I'd recommend using separate git repos for each svn branch if you're keeping the Subversion repo upstream. That's because if you have all the branches there, you'll be tempted to do things that git-svn doesn't support, like performing merges between (svn) branches, and end up getting in a mess. My advice is to use different git repos per svn branch while you're maintaining the upstream svn repo, then do a complete conversion from the root (including all branches) when you finally ditch Subversion.

Nathan Gray December 14, 2011

It's actually totally sensible to see all the branches of a specific project in git-svn, and you don't need to clone from the root of the repo. You add them en masse as remotes using the "branches" and "tags" directives in .git/config's svn-remote section. I add the "demos" directory as a "branches" source and when I need to check out the demo branch that my coworker set up in svn it's right there in my list of remotes. Tower and GitX-L work this way, no sweat. Heck, when I run git branch -a they show up in my list of remote branches, so I'm guessing you're actively filtering them out.

As for avoiding things that git-svn doesn't support, I would hope that my shiny high-tech tools would take care of that for me, but even if they don't it's not terribly hard to do. Separate repos for each svn branch is a complete non-starter though. That's just throwing away 90% of the power of git. You might as well just use subversion at that point.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2011

I'm not actively filtering anything out, so I'll look into this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events