How can I avoid to jump to "History" after each commit?

tobiberlin January 13, 2022

I think this started during the last months when I did not work much in code. When I make a commit in Sourcetree under "File Status" the view jumps to "History" all the time where I can see all commits. But I want to stay under "File Status" as other changes are not committed yet. Is there a way to avoid this as it really disturbs my workflow.

9 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
veuncent January 14, 2022

Under Tools -> Options -> General there is a setting down below under Commit Settings called "After committing, stay in commit dialog if there are still pending changes".

tobiberlin January 16, 2022

Thank you so much!!!

Like veuncent likes this
Anthony J Gundrum February 9, 2022

I will try this as I am having the same issue.

mai_il_2011 January 3, 2023

This DOESN'T seem to work if you uncheck 'Automatically start SSH agent when Sourcetree opens'... Really annoying and disruptive to those of us that commit a lot.

Lawrence Dol June 26, 2023

This doesn't work if you want to stay in the commit view after commit the final current set of changes. I commit checkpoints frequently, and don't want the view to switch to history after any commit. Making the assumption that after a commit I want to be looking at the history log is just another in a long series of unjustified presumptions that the authors of Atlassian seem to make about other developers' workflow.

Like Stefan Nilsson likes this
_alexbk66 June 27, 2023

How is it related?

Paul Denize September 28, 2023

This is not an acceptable answer.  Its a partial workaround that does not work for users that commit all.

mathieunancel February 12, 2024

Sorry if I'm daft but... where is that setting on macos? Can't find it in SourceTree 4.2.6.

Paul Denize February 12, 2024

There is no solution yet.  I think I'll start a new thread , this one appears Solved.  And it sure isn't - check the comments.  Everyone is annoyed by this feature change.

Paul Denize February 12, 2024

started a new thread that will not be marked solved with some irrelevant workaround that works only some of the time.  Vote it up if you hate this jumping to history feature.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/Stop-the-jump-to-quot-History-quot-after-each-commit/qaq-p/2606632#M44193

mathieunancel February 13, 2024

Thanks, will do.

But for anyone stumbling on the same question: to the best of my knowledge, the option suggested by Vincent Meijer does not seem to exist in the macos version of the app (!).

Found it on my Windows laptop, not on my macbook pro.

_alexbk66 February 13, 2024

@mathieunancel this setting only works if you have uncommitted files left, which is usually not the case.

Since this thread has an "Accepted Answer" - there's a newer therad created https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Sourcetree-questions/Stop-the-jump-to-quot-History-quot-after-each-commit/qaq-p/2606632

mathieunancel February 13, 2024

Thanks, I understand that :) but even that has helped me a lot, I often split my commits into finer chunks (perhaps that's bad practice?). That's why I was sad not to be able to find  it in half of my workstations.

Already visited and liked the new thread.

_alexbk66 February 13, 2024

Re "split my commits into finer chunks" - often if you make changes to multiple files and the commit only some of them - consider if you check-out this (partial) commit - will it compile or work?  Probably not.

But that's off-topic.

Like mathieunancel likes this
Paul Denize February 13, 2024

Agreed if you are going to split, then you should split into branches.  Each branch can ten be tested to ensure each compiles and runs independently before committing.  Then, unfortunately, you are again committing all, and the workaround is of no use.

5 votes
_alexbk66 May 8, 2022

I tried the suggested answer by @veuncent but still the same problem (I don't have pending changes after commit).

I think it's a new "feature" added in 3.4.8 as I didn't have this problem before upgrade.

If so - please Atlassian undo it!  Or at least make it configurable.

Stefan Nilsson December 14, 2022

I have the same problem (I don't want sourcetree to switch to the history tab when commiting the last changes). The existing option is cute I guess, but I really don't see the point of automatically switching to the history tab after a commit at all, so if we could get an option to not do that, that would be nice

Like # people like this
2 votes
Leo Gold March 23, 2023

Please add an option to not go to history on commit. Reposeed solutions don't work.

Paul Denize June 6, 2023

Agree but hate double negatives or negatve actions - add an option to go to history after commit (so it can be unchecked).  we don't need a bunch of negative options.

Like # people like this
2 votes
_alexbk66 May 9, 2022

How is it solved?

mai_il_2011 January 3, 2023

As of January 2023 on v3.4.11 it is NOT solved. The "accepted" answer seems to only work if the stars are aligned just right.

1 vote
_alexbk66 September 28, 2023

New release still doesn't include removing this "feature" (added in 3.4.8)?

SourceTree 3.4.15 [27 September 2023]

_alexbk66 September 28, 2023

And how this is "Solved"?

1 vote
_alexbk66 July 14, 2023

New release still doesn't include removing this "feature"?

SourceTree 3.4.14 [30 June 2023]

1 vote
_alexbk66 June 26, 2023

It's just stupid how somebody can come-up with such stupid idea - and then force it on the users and refuse to remove it.

I work on old big projects with long history - and after each commit I have to wait for the history to load.  

Just get rid of this stupid feature.

1 vote
Lawrence Dol June 26, 2023

Since Atlassian seem only to care if enough squeaky wheels chime in, the "accepted" answer is not sufficient; it should not switch after any commit. The option to "After committing stay in commit dialog if there are still changes pending" should be either augmented or replaced by an option "After committing switch to history view". Default off.

A UI should not auto-switch it's current view unless the user opts in to such behavior or there is absolutely no value in remaining where you are, which is almost never the case and is certainly not the case here.

1 vote
_alexbk66 May 18, 2022

Because of the new "feature" - when I go back to File Status it doesn't update automatically, I have to refresh (F5) - which does cause issues now because it looks like there's no changes!

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-13847

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events