Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I authenticate my information with a submodule repository?

RGVincent August 31, 2022

I'm trying to access three old submodule repos for work that Ive been given access to again recently.

If I clone these repos on their own, I can successfully access them and make changes to them, but if I try to access them as submodules in the main repository, my authentication fails.

Every time I try to access the submodule repos through the main repo to clone them onto my computer, im met with this pop up:

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 4.14.50 pm.png

And if I fill in my information, this pop up will appear:

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 4.15.59 pm.png

What am I doing wrong and how can I fix this?

1 answer

1 vote
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 2, 2022

Hi @RGVincent,

If you are using an HTTPS URL for the submodules in the .gitmodules file, this is a prompt to enter your Bitbucket credentials (username + app password). If there is a credential helper set on your machine, your credentials should be saved and used in subsequent git operations.

I would like to ask for some additional info so we can better help you:

1. Are you using a command-line application to clone, or some Git GUI client? And if it's a Git GUI client, which one is it?

2. What command are you executing when you get this prompt for credentials? Is it git submodule update or something different?

3. Are you cloning the main repo via HTTPS as well, and if so, do you get asked to enter credentials?

4. What is the output of these two commands from a terminal on your machine? These will show if a credential helper is used by Git and if so, which one

git config --system credential.helper
git config --global credential.helper

Kind regards,
Theodora

RGVincent September 4, 2022

Hi Theodora,

1. Im using source tree to access this repository.
  2. Im not too sure, its an automated command source tree uses when I try to access a sub module in the repo.
  3. Im not cloning via HTTPS, im cloning using the bit bucket clone to source tree.
  4. Im not getting any information from either command.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events