Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlight commits on current branch

Robert Mulder July 21, 2018

Is there any way to make SourceTree highlight all the commits that are included in my currently selected branch (or gray out those that aren't)? 

I'm often faced with 10+ simultaneous branches from different team members that have been merging and branching. I want a way to quickly see which commits are NOT in my current branch. 

I know I can make it display only the commits from my current branch, but that doesn't help me much. I'm looking for a way to see all commits from all branches, but somehow be able to see at a glance which aren't yet in my current branch.

Seeing how SourceTree is a visual tool, this seems like a very useful feature to have.

1 answer

0 votes
Manju
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 23, 2018

on Sourcetree for macOS you can use the popup button on the left side above the commit graph table to select "Current branch" to show the commits only for your current branch. 

Robert Mulder July 24, 2018

Yes, I mentioned that option, but that shows my what IS in my current branch by hiding the things that AREN'T. What I'm looking for is a way to quickly see what's NOT in my current branch, so I can easily see if I've missed a merge somewhere down' the line.

Especially when working with multiple developers in branches that interleave somewhat it can be hard to quickly discern if there are commits that you don't have merged yet. By providing an easy way to see them, by for instance showing them slightly greyed out, it's easy to glance at the repository and see if you may have missed something.

Hugo Zijlmans July 25, 2018

Hi Robert,

unfortunately there is no way of doing this in sourcetree besides doing it manually to verify if all lets call them 'patches' are included in your current branch. Even if this feature would have been available (graphically) there is no way of knowing if all patches even were implemented during a merge, as in a merge you could chose to discard lines. The end result will show up as merged but still meant changes could be open (for instance when the branch remains open and later merge is again required). I hope this at lease answer your question although it doesn't fulfill your expectation.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events