Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help connecting to our GIT repository

Stephanie Workman September 15, 2014

Good morning,

Our DBA has setup our git respository and I'm now trying to connect to it from Source Tree. We have verified that our private/public key is working and the key is loaded into pageant. What I don't understand now is do I need to do anything else with the key if its loaded into pageant in the background?? Also I'm not sure what path to use exactly when I try to connect to the repo. I'm choosing 'clone/new' and then choosing 'clone repository' and trying to enter our path..do I need to front this with something like 'ssh://bangit.sis.utk.edu/banner/apps/application_name??  Is that the right action or should I be choosing to 'create new repository' on my local desktop?

I'm just diving headfirst into this and clearly I don't know what I'm doing. I'd be most happy if i could figure out how exactly to connect to our respository so i can see something from my desktop. Apparently I need step by step instructions so if those exist please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Stephanie Workman

Senior IT Analyst
University of Tennessee

6 answers

1 vote
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2014
  • The server probably needs to know your key.
  • You need to have the right clone address, starting with "ssh:" The admin of the server should be able to supply this.
0 votes
Stephanie Workman September 18, 2014

Thanks Ramiro. Here is what I've been trying to work through...

1) DBA creates git respository on our VM and downloaded all the XE apps
2) I download Sourcetree onto my local desktop
3) Go to Sourcetree-->tools-->create or import key. It brings up putty key generator and I create/save private/public keys and send the public key to the DBA
4) Ensure that pageant is running with the key in the background and confirm via putty itself that I can access the repository
5) Select Clone repository and enter my ssh url hit tab

at this point it tries to validate/connect to the path with our 'banner' account. It does not seem to recognize the key so it pops up the login box with our 'banner' username filled in ..expecting a password. Which it doesn't have. I hit enter and it then next to 'repository type' it tells me 'this is not a valid source path/url'. The details say 'access denied'..

So as far as I can tell Sourcetree is not recognizing my key when it attempts to connect to our repository. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong somewhere I just don't know what.

Do I actually have to download the git client on my PC and create the keys using the git bash as you did??

Stephanie

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2014

I'm not sure since I am new to git but you could give a try. If I understand correctly Sourcetree is the UI but the git client works in the background.

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2014

Hi Stephanie, a few hours ago I went the same road as you. I'll describe what I did in case it helps you:

1. I installed the git client in my PC.
  2. Created my private and public key using the git bash.
  3. I went to Sourcetree -> tools -> options -> General
  4. In the SSH client configuration I indicated where my private key is and selected openssh.
  5. I selected Clone repository
  6. I indicated the ssh url and the destination path in my PC.
  7. I pressed Clone and that's it.

Did you do it like this?

0 votes

Ok a few more questions please:

1) under tools/options do I need to fill in the SSH Client configuration information?

2) Is there anything I need to do for pageant? It is currently running in the background with the key viewable.

3) Do I need to 'import' the key? Its supposed to know it from pageant right?

4) I have confirmed that my version of putty on my desktop connects to our bangit repository with the appropriate login acount without requiring authentication recognizing the keys

So..I've done all of these things above..obviously the account is not locked...yet I cannot get the 'clone' to connect without throwing access errors.

I'm at a loss...

Thank you for your patient in answering my questions.

Stephanie

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2014

What are the errors? "Obviously the account is not locked" - Why is this obvious? The error you mentioned in an earlier answer makes it sounds like it has been automatically locked following too many authentication failures. Have you asked your DBA to help you debug the authentication issues? If he set up the repository, it ought to be his job to make sure it is properly configured for users to connect.

It's not locked because i can go to putty and login just fine with it. Yes I asked our DBA to help. In their opinion this is a 'software setup' issue and hence not their problem...sigh. the error is 'access denied' too many authentication failuers for banner...'banner' is the account name its trying to connect as...i can connect as banner via putty just fine. Thanks :)

I feel like i'm really close ..but no cigar so far...

Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 21, 2014

Firewall blocking some ports but not others?

0 votes
Stephanie Workman September 16, 2014

So when I'm trying to connect should I be choosing the 'clone' option? That's what i'm doing then i'm entering the source/URL similar too ssh://bangit.xxx.xxx.edu/banner/apps/banner_student_faculty_grade_entry_app.git  and it is giving me an error regarding authentication..

..access denied..fatal error server sent disconnect message type 2(protocol error): too many authentication failures for banner' fatal : count not read from remote repository.

We confirmed yesterday via putty that our keys are working and we can access the git server that way.

Thanks,

Stephanie

Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2014

Yes, first you need to clone the repository and then work in the folder where you cloned it. "too many authentication failures" sounds like your account is locked out, either temporarily or permanently. You really need to talk to the admin of the server...

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2014

Also, check out the Git Book. It was very helpful for me in getting oriented to Git, especially coming from an SVN background.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events