Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Needed: SourceTree Authentication Failure with Bitbucket over HTTPS, but Terminal Works Fine

andreaExo April 5, 2024

Hello Atlassian Community,

I’m reaching out for assistance with an issue I'm experiencing with SourceTree and Bitbucket authentication over HTTPS. While I can successfully use SSH within SourceTree, and HTTPS via the terminal for Git operations (prompting for my Bitbucket password works fine), both OAuth and App Password fail within SourceTree.

I have tried the following steps to resolve the issue:

1. Verified the default Bitbucket account in SourceTree.
  2. Generated and used a new app password in Bitbucket for Basic authentication.
  3. Cleared outdated credentials from both the Windows Credential Manager and within SourceTree.
  4. Refreshed OAuth tokens and re-entered app password in SourceTree.
  5. Checked the global .gitconfig for any old settings and made sure it is updated with the current user information.

The terminal-based Git operations with HTTPS work perfectly when I am prompted for my Bitbucket password. However, the same operations fail within SourceTree, suggesting a potential issue with SourceTree's handling of credentials.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem or have suggestions to resolve this authentication dilemma? Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated, as this is impacting my workflow significantly.

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

1 answer

1 vote
Michael Sarafidis April 8, 2024

Same problem here,

I have tried both creating an SSH key and App Password and both fail to clone a repo at Sourcetree GUI version 3.4.17 from bitbucket cloud.

The App Password works fine Sourcetree git terminal and also Github desktop that I have tried.

Thus, it is a Sourcetree GUI problem.

I would also be glad to hear a solution here.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events