Has the source tree team considered an option for the graph to show lines that strictly correspond to branches?

jrood September 17, 2014

I'm very greatful to the Atlassian team that has worked on Source tree. I work with an iterative development team of 7 programmers, and in many ways, it has been a very helpful repo management product. However, when we look at the log / history for a repo, we are often trying to figure out exactly when one branch is split, when which one is merged with which, and what commits are made on each branch. If each line strictly represented each branch, this would be easy to determine, but because the lines are organized topologically, it is significantly more difficult and less intuitive. I know that branches can be deleted, and that this is part of the reasoning why the lines are not organized strictly by branch, but couldn't commits on deleted branches just be displayed in a seperate column or grayed out line? In situations where two developers made commits one their local repositories and then merged, could this be displayed by the same line just splitting (being the same color on both sides) and then being merged back together?

I think that, when git users think about branching, they often picture a tree-like representation where each line represents a different branch. The fact that Source tree has a graphical representation for a repo where each line doesn't actually represent a branch, but some kind of topological psudo-branch, is confusing. I believe that Source Tree would be a much more intuitive and helpful product if there was an option for each branch to just correspond to one colored line.

1 answer

0 votes
Balázs Szakmáry
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2014

You should file a feature request here.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events