HOWTO change URL on a repo in Bitbucket.

John Brumbelow October 22, 2018

Please help,

We have created a repo in Bitbucket.org, but the URL shows the owner's personnel name. After an extensive search and many efforts to try and use repo settings, there does not appear to be anything to let one change the url.

All documentation on-line from bitbucket.org, does not show something that actually exists on the same bitbucket.org screens to change the url.

2 answers

1 vote
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2018

Hi

I'm assuming you are referring https://username@bitbucket.org/rog/repo.git style URLs?

Bit bucket will always serve you up with a URL of this form, based on the currently logged in user. However https://bitbucket.org/rog/repo.git is a valid URL as well.

You can change your local copy of this in Sourcetree in the Repository Settings, behind the cog in the upper left. But be aware the credential management  in Git makes use of the URL, if you are using more than 1 set of credentials to access Bitbucket.org you should really continue to use the username prefixed URL to avoid confusiuon.

0 votes

Thanks for the reply. bitbucket.org does not have in its GUI "behind the cog in the upper left".

From bitbucket.org, to then click on the repo, to then choose "Settings", there is no option, (and I am admin to the repo), to "change" anything, let alone change repo URL.

If I could send screen shots, I would. Sadly, I am not permitted. Can perhaps you use something like WebEx to assist?

This issue is now blocking.

The current Bitbucket.org out-of-the-box, is including our personnel user name in the url. This is not acceptable, and a security risk.

minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2018

Sorry I meant upper right in Sourcetree.  

I don't believe you can remove the username from the URLs in bitbucket itself. However the username only reflects the current logged in user, e.g. if I log in it will show my username, if you log in it shows your.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events