Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GitFlow - Enable - Branches already exist

Jay Blanton November 12, 2020

We are looking to use GitFlow on our project where we already have a master, and a develop (but right now develop is a folder that contains feature/hotfix branches in it).  If we enable GitFlow, will it leave the master and create the correct develop?  Or will it wipe out our current master?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jay Blanton November 16, 2020

So the plugin really requires you to already have a master and develop branch.  So if I did not have a develop branch or I had a develop/sample branch, it would fail because it didn't exist or because I couldn't create and lock develop if a develop/sample branch existed.  The way I resolved this is by either ensuring I had develop and master when creating a new repo, or I renamed what I considered was my develop branch to the name develop.  Once I did this, and then initialized the repository for the Git-flow feature.  Of course, after the fact, you can modify the .git/config settings for the directories that Git-flow is configured against.

0 votes
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2020

Hi @Jay Blanton ,

I'm not sure what you mean by "folder that contains branches in it". I don't think it will do any damage, but I think the safest way is to do the fresh local clone of your remote repository and test it on this copy. Then you will be sure :-).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events