Git View from within Sourcetree

Sometimes I need to see what a particular source file actually looked like x changes ago. Looking at the log doesn't give me the picture I need, I want to actually see the file itself without changing the current file. I can do this with "git show" command from the command line as in git show SHA:Filename, however I'd love to be able to do this within SourceTree. Sourcetree doesn't seem to offer this natively and I can't seem to get custom actions to work with this. Anyone have any suggestions? 

1 answer

0 votes

Like so?

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.45.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.46.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-19 at 6.46.38 PM.png

I did that but I don't have anything in my custom actions

2017-10-19_21-13-37.png2017-10-19_21-14-42.png

BTW based on the syntax need to run those from a command line without having to worry about path variables or what directory you are the parameter should be "-C $REPO show $SHA:$FILE" so this should work

2017-10-19_21-23-14.pngHowever the custom actions menu has no submenu. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

252 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot