Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting fatal error when trying to clone from Bitbucket into SourceTree

Ron Rabakukk June 2, 2022

I am trying to clone a repository in Bitbucket to my local PC using SourceTree. I have added my SSH key to Bitbucket and set up my private key in SourceTree, and on the remote tab I see the list of available repositories. I click on the clone link next to one of the repositories and it fails, giving this error:

Command: git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false --no-optional-locks ls-remote https://ronrabakukk@bitbucket.org/pmas-de/hscs-kpi-1a.git
Output:
Error: fatal: unable to access 'https://bitbucket.org/pmas-de/hscs-kpi-1a.git/': SSL certificate problem: self signed certificate in certificate chain

I am using the same SSH key pair on another PC and they work fine. Any idea why it is failing?

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2022

Hello @Ron Rabakukk ,

I am not entirely familiar with this topic but I'll do what I can to help, looking into it Bitbucket cloud does not have a self-signed certificate in its chain, and when using self-signed certificates Bitbucket provides the Skip certificate verification option, which allows you to disable certificate verification which is described in more detail in:

The overall recommendation is to NOT disable certificate verification but rather obtain an SSL certificate from a trusted certificate authority.  But overall there should not be any self-signed certs coming from the BitBucket cloud side.

Additionally there is a possibility of one of the git clients or sourcetree on your machine is outdated and maybe doesn’t recognize one of the CAs in the Bitbucket cert chain, that would explain why it works on one machine but not this machine.

Can you verify that you’re running on the latest version of sourcetree which looks to be 4.1.8_244 and also that the system you’re running it on is all up to date on packages\system updates etc.. as well as verify that the machine this works on is the same version as the one it is failing on?

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events