Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting error - Failed to check login for user - when registering SourceTree

Don Tompkins September 11, 2019

I just installed SourceTree 3.1.3 and I am unable to register the application to use it. I copied the URL exactly as it displayed on the bitbucket website and entered my password (same one that allows me to access my account on the bitbucket website, but I am getting a Failedto check login for user.

On the registration page I enter:

https://<my username>@bitbucket.org/<My team name>/<my repo name>

Then I enter the my username and am prompted for the password. I get them error. When I review the SourceTree log It displays the following and that it can't be found:

https://<my username>@<my username>@bitbucket.org/<My team name>/<my repo name>

I tried removing the <my username>@ from the URL and get the same results, but the log message displays the URL correctly after it appends the username to the URL. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks! Don

5 answers

0 votes
Siva K
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 18, 2021

In our case we had to install certificates

0 votes
Yordanys
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 15, 2020

I am in the same case. I can configure any other Tool for git except the source tree. I am getting the same issue: faild to check login for: ......

0 votes
Sophie
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 26, 2020

I am having this problem but I have no idea how to fix it can anybody help me??

0 votes
Don Tompkins September 16, 2019

Is there an update to this issue? Thanks!

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2019

Hello Don and welcome to the Community!

We appreciate you including details into what you’ve attempted already and the errors you’re seeing in response. When you’re attempting to connect to Bitbucket, could you please use the following URL:

Use your standard Bitbucket account credentials to authenticate.

Please let us know if you’re still having issues registering your account with Sourcetree after attempting the above.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Don Tompkins September 12, 2019

Thank you for the quick reply Stephen. I am getting the same error.

Thanks!

Like Stephen Sifers likes this
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2019

Hello Don,

Thanks for confirming. To ensure we're trying to authenticate to the right place, you do use Bitbucket cloud correct?

Could you please include a screenshot of the error as well? I can use this to pass it along to the Sourcetree team so we investigate further. (Please remove or blur any sensitive information before posting).

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Don Tompkins September 12, 2019

Here is the result of me trying to log in. a screen shot of the log file (with my username removed) is below. Thanks!Screenshot - 9_12_2019 , 5_38_33 PM.png

Screenshot - 9_12_2019 , 5_42_26 PM.png

Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
September 16, 2019

Hello Don,

I reviewed your account and I am unable to find any referenced or linked instances of Bitbucket cloud sites. Can you please confirm you have a Bitbucket account that uses the same email as your account for Community?

If not, please let me know the Bitbucket instance you're using so we see why you're being reported as not having an account on Bitbucket.

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Don Tompkins September 17, 2019

Apologies for wasting your time. My coworker and I figured out the issue. I was selecting BitBucket Server and it should have been BitBucket when configuring SourceTree. I have it all set. Thank you!

Like Stephen Sifers likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events