File search in SourceTree

Linda Knapp December 11, 2014

How can I do a file search in SourceTree?  For example, I am looking for all file commits with the .yml extension only.

2 answers

2 votes
Exia February 2, 2016

While I'd love to see a feature added to SourceTree that would allow you to see the history of a file that does not currently exist. A workaround though would be to add to every commit the files that were updated. That way you could search commit messages for .yml and get all commits where a .yml file was updated.

2 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 11, 2014

You can't search commits by filename in SourceTree. It might be possible on the Git command line, but I don't know for sure.

You can search your working copy by filename. In the File Status tab, choose to show "All" instead of "Pending", then type your search in the search box to the right (e.g., "yml").

You can also view all of the commits for a particular file by right-clicking the file, and choosing "Log Selected..."

Petr Bodnár December 12, 2020

You can't search commits by filename in SourceTree.

Confirmed, even now in 2020. Which is quite surprising, when other tools like the Git command line or TortoiseGit can do this for years already. BTW "git blame" is also pretty limited when compared to some other tools.

It might be possible on the Git command line, but I don't know for sure.

Sure that this is possible, it is even super easy, see for example How can I list all commits that changed a specific file?.

Yet, Sourcetree seems to be a handy tool. It's a pity that authors, or Atlassian generally, keep overlooking some "details" in their otherwise great products...

Like Mahmoud Z likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events