Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature branches in remote not getting deleted

Isuru November 15, 2014

I'm having an issue with using git-flow. Not sure if this is the expected behavior so please clarify it for me.

I create an empty repo in Bitbucket and clone it to my local machine. Then I create an Xcode project (I do iOS developing) inside that repo, commit it and push it to Bitbucket.

Then I went ahead and initialzed my local repo to use git flow. I use SourceTree by the way. Then I created a new feature branch, let's call it FirstFeature. I add some files to the project and push it again. Now I have 3 branches in my remote repo; master, develop and FirstFeature.

Then I work on the project again and finish off that feature. The FirstFeature branch gets deleted and merged it with develop locally. Then I proceed to push it to Bitbucket. I thought since the local branch of FirstFeature got deleted, it would get removed when I push the new changes but apparently not. That FirstFeature branch is still there in my Bitbucket repo.

Is this expected behavior or do I need to do something extra to get these removed?

Thank you.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
TimP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2014

Hi Isuru,

By default git flow only deletes the local branch for you. You can delete remote branches manually using the syntax:

git push origin :branchname

This StackOverflow thread has a couple of other suggestions that may help.

Hope this helps! 

cheers,

Tim

Isuru November 15, 2014

Hi Tim, got it. Thank you.

Isuru November 15, 2014

I found a cool fork called git-flow-avh(https://github.com/petervanderdoes/gitflow) of git-flow that does this remote deletion automatically. I'm gonna use it alongside sourcetree. I also voted up for feature request(https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-1762) for sourcetree to integrate this fork instead of the original.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2014

In the meantime, you can also delete the remote branch by finding it in the expandable "Remotes" branch list, right-clicking, then "Delete...".

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events