Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External diff/merge tool not launching through SourceTree

salamono July 26, 2019

Hello everyone,

as many other users I have problems with opening an external Diff/merge tool. I have read most of the threads but can't seem to figure out the problem. The tool just doesn't launch. It appears in the list in options. I'm pretty new to Git so please bear that in mind.

The .gitconfig file in C:/Users/.../ does not change when I change the tool in my settings. I manually added the program as such:

[difftool "sourcetree"]
cmd = 'C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 4\BCompare.exe' \"$LOCAL\" \"$REMOTE\"
trustExitCode = false
[mergetool "sourcetree"]
cmd = 'C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 4\BCompare.exe' \"$LOCAL\" \"$BASE\" \"$REMOTE\" \"$MERGED\"
trustExitCode = false
keepBackup = false

but it didn't help. However, it seems that changes affect the user.config XML file, changing:

<setting name="DiffCustomCmd" serializeAs="String">
<value>C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 4\BComp.exe</value>
</setting>
<setting name="MergeCustomCmd" serializeAs="String">
<value>C:\Program Files\Beyond Compare 4\BComp.exe</value>
</setting>

But the application still doesn't start.

I also tried changing tool with the Process Viewer enabled but the list is flooded with hundreds of messages and the "Clear Logs" button doesn't work for me when the "Tools" > "Options" dialogue is open.

I am using version 3.1.3.3158, embedded.

Many mention the issue being related to environment variables. I don't seem to have any of the "HOME", "HOMEDRIVE", "HOMEPATH" variables in my list. How do they work?

Would greatly appreciate some help!

1 answer

0 votes
Mike Corsaro
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2019

Hello! You should be able to just create a HOME environment variable and set it to %USERPROFILE%. You might also have luck running the git installer again and making sure it's set to add git to your path.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events