Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when trying to push commits from Sourcetree to Bitbucket

Jacqui Lewis June 26, 2018

I am trying to push change I have made in my repository to Bitbucket. I am using Sourcetree for this. I am using HTTPS.

I am getting a timeout error. "Failed to connect to bitbucket.org port 443: Timed out"

This worked fine when I did my initial commit and a few afterwards. 

If I copy the URL into my browser I get a bitbucket 404 that says "That link has no power here."

Can someone please help point me in the right direction of what is going wrong?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2018

HI @Jacqui Lewis

Welcome to the community!

It should be the Local network firewall or DNS issue, please look at the below articles.

https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issues/12184/failed-to-connect-to-bitbucketorg-port-443

https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issues/15411/failed-to-connect-to-bitbucketorg-port-443

Hoe it helps.

Thanks @Yogesh Mude I have tried the recommended commands in the first issue and both the ping and the trace route are fine. 

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2018

HI @Jacqui Lewis

bitbucket 404 that says "That link has no power here."

Can you please confirm if you are able to access the repo from bitbucket with appropriate permission.

Yes I created this repo.

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 26, 2018

ok, using Sourcetree you are not able to push the change to remote repo correct?

Can you please try to clone the repo and do the changes to working dir and then using git try to push the changes to the remote repo.

Correct. I do not know the correct commands using git which is why I am using Sourcetree. At this stage the only working directory I have is the one that is no longer working.

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2018

Follow the below steps to clone the repo using git.

1. Open the git bash on your system.

2. Create the directory in which you want to clone the repo and redirect the cursor into the dir

3. Configure your username and email.

> git config --global user.name "XXXXX"

> git config --global user.email "XXXX@abc.com"

4. Initialize the git

> git init

5. Copy the repo URL from bitbucket and clone it to Working dir.

> git clone <Repo_URL>

6. Change any file within the working dir and then push the changed to remote rep.

> git status

> git commit -a -m <commit_massage>

> git push -u origin <Branch_name>

Jacqui Lewis June 27, 2018

Thanks! How do I redirect the cursor into the dir?

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2018

To create dir.

> mkdir Test_repo

Go to the newly created dir and then clone the repo in this.

> cd Test_repo

@Yogesh Mude I got to step 5 and I got the same error

"it/': Failed to connect to bitbucket.org port 443: Timed out"

Yogesh Mude
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2018

ahh..then there will be a network/firewall/DNS issue please check with your IT/Network team.

is there anything specific they should can check?

Thank you @Yogesh Mude

I added a proxy into Sourcetree rather than using the default windows proxy and this seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks again for your help!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events