Error when opening git bash terminal

When I click the "Terminal" button in SourceTree, this funky error message pops up:

"It has not been possible to start the Git Bash Terminal."

screenshot1.png

This is on Windows 8 with SourceTree v1.6.23.0. Does anyone have a clue how to fix this? I've tried using embedded and system version of Git with no luck at all. Thanks!

Edit: Good advice below. It appears this started in 1.6.23.0 since 1.6.22.0 works for me. For anyone else reading having this issue, just change the number in the download link on the main download page from 23 to 22 and that will workaround this issue in the meantime until they fix it. Direct link here

3 answers

I have the same problem on Windows 7 after updating to version 1.6.23 yesterday. It worked fine on all previous versions. For now, I'll go back to version 1.6.22 and wait for a fix.

Same problem here on Windows 10. Downgrade also worked.

Try this suggested solution: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33790602/sourcetree-cant-open-git-bash Haven't come across the explanation as to why a git upgrade is necessary

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

572 views 1 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you