Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error : Askpass.exe: No such file or directory

Reza October 4, 2018

Hi All,

After updating sourcetree I seem to be getting this error

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false fetch origin
fatal: HttpRequestException encountered.
An error occurred while sending the request.

error: cannot spawn C:\Users\Reza Seedin\AppData\Local\SourceTree\app-3.0.5\tools\Askpass.exe: No such file or directory
bash: /dev/tty: No such device or address
error: failed to execute prompt script (exit code 1)
fatal: could not read Username for 'https://github.com': No error

Completed with errors, see above.

I have tried to re-adding my username password as well. Any thoughts?

9 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2018

An update to the GCM has been released https://github.com/Microsoft/Git-Credential-Manager-for-Windows/releases/tag/1.18.3

This should improve the situation significantly and we'd recommend upgrading.

Reza November 7, 2018

Hi Michael, Does this come automatically with Source tree (version 3.0.8?) or do we need to update this separately as per your link above. I have have fallen back to 2.6.10 

minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2018

It is not in 3.0.8.

Deepening on how quickly it gets bundled into a Git release it will get put into a future Sourcetree release.

Like Reza likes this
Mark Graves November 8, 2018

Windows Credential Manager:  1.18.3

SourceTree:  3.0.8

Git:  2.19.1

EVERYTHING WORKS NOW!!

Like Reza likes this
Reza November 8, 2018

Hi @minnsey,

Can confirm that after the update to the GMC manually https://github.com/Microsoft/Git-Credential-Manager-for-Windows/releases/tag/1.18.3 this work fine with SourceTree:  3.0.8 with embedded GIT for me.

Thanks all and thanks to the team at Sourcetree. Keep up the good work

Reza

Tommaso November 12, 2018

Thank you. Now it works.

14 votes
Thilo Enters October 11, 2018

Had the same issue today, the following workaround helped:

1. Go to an old installation of SourceTree, for me it was here:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\SourceTree\app-2.6.10\tools
  2. Select the following files and copy them
    Askpass.exe
    Askpass.UI.Wpf.dll
    SourceTreeShared.dll
  3. Paste the files you copied in the following directory:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\SourceTree\app-3.0.6\tools
Joseph Gershgorin October 14, 2018

This work-around worked for me. I have two connections setup VSTS and a Githhub account. VSTS worked fine and Github worked fine when accessing repositories I created, but when trying to access a private repository I have contributor access to the above work-around was needed. 

bpiec October 19, 2018

This workaround works but still outputs an error:

fatal: ArgumentException encountered.

An item with the same key has already been added.

2 votes
Daniele Tullo October 11, 2018

hi,

had the same issue.

Switching to git version "system", updating embedded and going back to "embedded" seemed to fix it...

with each update, i need to pray all divinities that everything is still working...

Reza October 14, 2018

I made the infortunate mistake of hitting update on a Friday before I went on vacation. I didn't realise it was a version 2 to 3 change. I'm back to 2.6.10 and happy days again

2 votes
Mark Graves October 9, 2018

I encountered this same problem today after updated my system Git version to 2.19.1.  I also updated SourceTree to 3.0.6 at the same time.  When pushing a branch, I get the following error:

error: cannot spawn C:\Users\mark.graves\AppData\Local\Sourcetree\app-3.0.6\tools\Askpass.exe: No error

When pushing in this state, I received no prompt to provide credentials to my Git Credential Manager.  Once I changed to use the embedded Git version 2.18.0, I DID get a prompt to provide credentials to the Git Credential Manager, and everything started working.

Jay Goldberg October 9, 2018

How do you change to use the embedded Git?

Mark Graves October 9, 2018

Tools => Options => "Git" tab => click the "Embedded" button.

Gary Miner October 24, 2018

Ran into this issue today with git 2.19.1 and SourceTree 3.0.8. Switching to the embedded git version works. 

Mark Graves October 24, 2018

I can also confirm this happened to me on 3.0.8 today after upgrading from 3.0.6.  I switched back to using embedded git version 2.18.0 to fix the issue again.

Gary Miner October 24, 2018

I think the issue with 2.19.1 is due to this https://github.com/Microsoft/Git-Credential-Manager-for-Windows/issues/774 which isn't a sourcetree issue per se. I updated my git-credential manager as suggested in this link and I'm working fine with 2.19.1 again.

Simon_Thomé October 29, 2018

Updating Sourcetree to 3.0.8 and system Git to 2.19.1 I still have the same problem, I can also confirm it is working on embedded Git 2.18.0

2 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
October 8, 2018

Hi

Firstly thanks for flagging this up, it does look like a bug that we will look into.

However Askpass.exe should only be used if the Git Credential Manager, GCM, has failed to retrieve credentials, either from storage or by prompting you the user.

I think that is why we missed this bug because we never hit that state.

Were you prompted at all with a Graphical UI for your GH credentials?

If you haven't already can you try installing  Git 2.19.1 as this contains the latest GCM version and then switch Sourcetree to use it as a System Git in the Tools/Options/Git tab

atompkins October 8, 2018

I had the same problem. No prompt. Git already 2.19.1.

I have rolled back.

Simon_Thomé October 9, 2018

Hi,

I also have a similar problem. I updated Sourcetree to 3.0.6 and simultaneously changed our repositories to use SSL. I am using System Git 2.19.1, I get the following error:

error: cannot spawn C:\Users\simon.thome\AppData\Local\Sourcetree\app-3.0.6\tools\Askpass.exe: No error

Switching to embedded Git 2.18.0 seems to fix it for now.

Maxim Beliy October 10, 2018

Neither embedded 2.18.0 nor system 2.19.1 worked. Still no prompt and error "No error".

Uninstalling sourcetree 3.0.6 and installing latest from sourcetree site (2.6.10!) helped.

Steve Esson October 11, 2018

Same as Maxim, steer clear of v3!

Reza October 14, 2018

I was not prompted, I have reverted back to 2.6.10. Embedded git worked for my oragansations GIthub but I am a contributed to one of my clients which still did not work.

Reverted and now up and running.

1 vote
minnsey
Atlassian Team
October 22, 2018

A fix for this will be in Sourcetree 3.0.8 which should be rolling out this week. 

Ultroman April 23, 2022

It was clearly not. Please get on this ASAP. Apparently, one has to install extra software, to make this software stop throwing errors.

1 vote
Ahmed Tarek October 18, 2018

Same Problem with me after updating from 2.6.10 to 3.0.6

1 vote
John Lewin October 9, 2018

Also running into this error on fetch in SourceTree. Fetch command line via git works as expected without error

>Were you prompted at all with a Graphical UI for your GH credentials?
No prompts at all, just an endlessly spinning 'Fetching' dialog box

Switching to embedded works around the issue for now

0 votes
bpiec October 19, 2018

Two weeks and the bug is still not fixed (but it breaks one of the main features of Source Tree for many users). I also filed a bug: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-9318 but didn't get any response. What's wrong Atlassian Team?

minnsey
Atlassian Team
October 22, 2018

We will be rolling out fix this week.

I'm afraid https://jira.atlassian.com has been  hit by  huge number of spam issues in recent weeks so we are a bit behind in our triage.

Simon_Thomé October 22, 2018

Thanks Michael 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events