Not sure if I am the only one afflicted by this, so here goes...
For some reason, in 3 out of the 5 repos I work agains, all branches double up. The other 2 present as you'd expect.
The below is a normal display, showing a bunch of branches:
I had the same issue but I fixed it :)
I noticed that `git branch -l` gave me an error message, but `git branch -r` worked ok.
The error message was:
$ git branch -l
fatal: missing object 791838d65fcfc7295dea5ebf2eae468d10f066bd for refs/heads/issue/BB#69_convert_everything_to_python
This branch has actually been merged. Actually, a new branch may have been created, and then squashed, and then merged. The branch is deleted (not in config file) but there was a still a referenced to it.
After manually deleting the reference in the console, displaying local branches now work and the the duplicated branches in ST disappeared :)
$ rm -rf refs/heads/issue/BB#69_convert_everything_to_python
I had the same problem.
For me the problem occurred when I created a new branch.
I noticed that the newly created branch in the config file had remote set to . (period).
I changed it to origin, which for me was what it should be.
This solved it.
FIY, when I change it back the duplication returns.
Sorry for the messed-up posting, not sure why the one screenshot got pasted several times.
So, using v22.214.171.124 (latest) on Windows 7.
I have 4 Gitlab repos that I connect Sourcetree to. The 4 repos are much the same: nothing about any one of them is inherently different to the other 3 in terms of credentials, git, etc. Certainly, they are all configured to connect to Sourcetree in the same way.
Of the 4, 1 behaves itself while the other 3 duplicate every local branch.
Some things that may be relevant:
(1) Have recently upgraded the Sourcetree. Would have been 2 if not 3 versions behind. But the duplication was already there. I upgraded in the hope that it would make it go away.
(2) I culled a lot of old local branches from all 4 repos that were "clutter" as far as I was concerned. That didn't help: whatever branches are left are duplicated.
(3) If I click on Branch, and pretend I want to delete a local branch, the list of branches I am offered has no duplication. So, at least one part of the system "knows" that there really is only one version of each local branch. See the screenshots below...
Just for the record, I am seeing this as well. I have 5 projects and 1 of them exhibits this behavior. The only difference between the ones that work correctly and this one that has duplicated branch names is I am using Visual Studio 2015 on the outlier, VS 2017 on the others.
+1. I am seeing this too. Have been putting up with it for a while now hoping that an upgrade would fix it. It's distracting and disconcerting.
I'm fairly certain it happened with a ST update, but can't tell you exactly which one.
My symptoms are similar to above, but not exactly the same.
I have branches called:
The branches that are in a "folder" (have forward slash in name) seem to be duplicated in the ST UI, however top-level branches (without forward slashes) are not duplicated. e.g. `master` and `master-next`
One observation: 4 of my 5 branches are displayed twice. The one that is displayed only once, is the only one for which there is no remote branch of the same name.
It looks a bit like this:
d <-- no remote branch with this name exists.
Don't know if this is relevant.
I had this problem too after changing other branch to track remote master.
For some magical reason, this fixed the problem for me:
I went to settings > Edit Config File...
Noticed that for some reason I had two master branches defined.
One with name "master" and one with name "origin/master".
When I removed the origin/master entry from configuration file, all the duplicates vanished.
Not sure if sourcetree just picked up the new config after modifying it a bit..
Just to be safe, don't just repeat blindly the steps I did :D
You're spot-on: in my experience, this config file is the key to the riddle.
I did an experiment with a couple of my repos, whereby I removed the "config" files from the .git folders where they live. Ok, not quite removed, but renamed them in a way that made sure they were not coming into play when SourceTree was starting (but I could have them back if it all went to hell...)
Three things happened when I restarted SourceTree:
After all that, things are humming along fine.
Hope this helps someone.
No answers but - FWIW same issue here. SourceTree version 126.96.36.199 on Win10 Prof.
I cloned a completely new copy of my project. This gave me one instance of the "master" branch showing in SourceTree. And it remained that way until I used Arcanist to create a new branch ("arc feature foo"). The new branch was created and I now have two instances of "master" showing in the left panel of SourceTree.
Git commands suggested above and examining the configuration files reveals no obvious (to me) reason why two entries are now showing.
I got this same problem after I deleted a branch (in repository and local) all my local branches were duplicated.
I never realized I had another local branch pointing to that same deleted branch.
I went to Settings > Edit Config File... there I saw:
remote = origin
merge = refs/heads/deleted_Branch
I closed the Edit Config file > Right Click in "another_Local_Branch"> Delete "another_Local_Branch". That's it, after it refreshed the UI repository (F5) all branches are single now.
Supported Platforms macOS Windows We recently introduced support for additional hosting services such as GitHub Enterprise, GitLab (Cloud, Community Edition, Enterprise Edition), and...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events