Difference in diif suppression between Windows and Mac SourceTree

Dave Parsons April 9, 2013
I have a file which is quite large 33K lines and 1.4MB on disk. I have increased the size of text files to diff in the options on both version of the application. Mac version will show me the diff output, but Windows one does not. Is this a bug or expected behaviour and can I change it on Windows to be the same as Mac. Thanks Dave

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2013

The threshold at which the entire diff is suppressed (ie git diff is not even issued) operates the same way on both Mac and Windows. However on Windows there's an additional setting called 'Max Diff Line Count' which truncates the *display* of the diff beyond a certain point (default 500 lines). This is because we've discovered that WPF isn't anywhere near as efficient as Cocoa when dealing with large formatted content and can get really sluggish as the diffs get larger. So we truncate the diff beyond that point to keep the interface snappy, on the assumption that beyond a certain size diff it becomes unwieldy to manipulate via hunk/line operations anyway. You can always get the full diff using the External Diff option, or tweak the Max Diff Line Count setting to your liking.

Dave Parsons April 14, 2013

Thanks for the answer. It didn't fix the issue, but it turned out to be a problem with one file which GIT throught had garbage in it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events