Difference between Local and Remote?

mitchell_buckley September 27, 2017

If this is answered somewhere else, please point me to it.

I am using SourceTree and BitBucket. I have been making repositories on BitBucket and then cloning through Sourcetree and doing commits, push, pull, merge from there. When I clone something, it goes under the "Local" tab. However, there is also a "Remote" tab that shows some of the same repositories that exist online. What is the use of having two ways of seeing the same repository? How can I consolidate my access to these repositories?

The purpose of these repositories is collaborative research and document writing (in LaTex). So I never really need to fork, or have different versions since I trust the work of my collaborators, I just need to stay up to date, make my own changes, and push them out to everyone else. Am I using git and sourcetree "wrongly"?

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2017

I assume you are talking about these two icons

Sourcetree.png

The local will list all your local repositories that you either have cloned or created locally. The remote will list all remote repositories that you have access to via the accounts that you have setup in SourceTree. See the local ones as bookmarks that allow you to open up a new tab in SourceTree so you can work in that repository.

mitchell_buckley September 27, 2017

Yes, those icons. Ah, great, ok. So I'm not doing something crazy? I'm using the system as intended?

mitchell_buckley October 3, 2017

Cheers

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2017

No, you are not doing anything crazy, that is the intended use of the local and remote.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events