Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did anyone really think that the new UI was an improvement?

Viewing page 6 of 9

203 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
James Harris February 17, 2016

I'm not a huge fan of the command line, so I loved SourceTree because it made Git so much more accessible. Before today I would have immediately recommended SourceTree to anyone trying to learn Git. Unless the UI changes, I'm switching to GitKraken. It's not as feature-rich as SourceTree, but the UI is way nicer.

0 votes
James Harris February 17, 2016

I miss having whitespace between entries in the Bookmarks menu sad There is actually more whitespace between the lines of a single bookmark than there is between two bookmarks.

0 votes
gnichola
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 17, 2016

The switching views bug was what made it initially unusable for me https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-4308.

0 votes
DBMedia Sviluppo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 17, 2016

And now, everytime you stage a single file you get an annoying popup dialog with the git command shown. If I have to stage multiple files manually I'm clearly glad to close the popup everytime!

Additionally there is a bug where the staged file differences are not shown on the right until you switch view and come back.

0 votes
Eyal Roth
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

Seems like they tried to make it look like the Mac version, and they did it poorly.

It looks like they didn't even test it. I mean, can you even read the red-circled text in this picture?

sourcetree.png

0 votes
Ian Darling
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

I think there are a couple of specific issues that need addressing with the new UI, that are actively problematic for me.

• A lack of "handles" (or borders) indicating the points we can grab for resizable elements
  • A lack of "depth" for elements that are tabs (repos at the top, File Status etc at the bottom)

There are also some things that just look "off".

• The diff area isn't "full-width", so you can get variable width grey borders appearing on the right edge
  • The icons don't align correctly with their labels (across the board).
  • The icons for File Status, Branches, etc in the repo sidebar are too big and don't align
  • The box highlight around the "Jump To" button is wrong, and isn't consistent with the branch/sort drop downs.
  • The highlight on the diff "..." button is inconsistent with the "Jump To" button and the drop downs.  The "Reverse hunk" etc buttons are consistent.
  • Bookmark tree-view - "+" symbols for folders aren't centered within the box.
  • Bookmark tree-view - folder and repo names have different font sizes but are vertically bottom-aligned, which looks odd.

I don't have the lack of bolding issue Ben M has wrt current branch.

0 votes
Helen Toomik
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

Adding my comment here in the hope that someone at Atlassian will listen and react...

I truly thought I had somehow messed up the update and gotten some halfway version, and started googling for a fix. Had it been a web app, I'd be pressing Ctrl+F5 repeatedly in the hope that I get the "proper" version.

I have no objections to a flat UI, but when the UI gives me no clue about what is what - heck, I can barely see where the menu bar ends and the tab row starts! - then it is not doing its job. All I see is a sea of gray, with text floating around.

Colours are useful. A judicious use of colour will make a UI easier to read at a glance and easier to use.

Lines and borders are useful. They help show what is separate and what belongs together. For example, lines would make the tree (with branches, remotes etc) look like a tree rather than a bunch of floating text.

0 votes
Michal Sekula
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

Any idea how to downgrade to previous version (Mac)?

succesfully downgraded to 2.1 (http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/SourceTree_2.1.dmg)

Besides the flat design I don't like as it's less readable.... after the upgrade to 2.2 the app just stucks randomly eg. when trying to commit stuff (I still can switch screens from View menu, but buttons etc. aren't responding at all) and the only way to make it work it is forcing close (killing it). Nightmare.

0 votes
Ben Middleton February 16, 2016

Looking at the list of open source library controls used in this new version, it looks as if the developers have tried to find the best free library available for each bit of the UI. Unfortunately this has been at the expense of good usability. Some initial reactions:

• Lack on consistency between controls
  • Lack of white space - between lines/icons/
  • Bad alignment of visual elements
  • Inconsistent typeface in the different controls
  • Loss of the bold current branch indicator - the blue dot just confuses the UI further - and it's not aligned correctly
  • Tabs in right-hand panel are poorly implemented
  • Lack of consistency with other Atlassian products (e.g. HipChat desktop client)
  • The legacy branch/file browser UI control now looks dated compared to the new controls around them

On the plus side, it seems more responsive than before - and I suspect this was one of the main drivers for this new UI.

I hope Atlassian can put some resources into this product. It may well be free - but this kind of release does not show Atlassian off as a professional company.

0 votes
Colin Tebbutt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 16, 2016

I personally much preferred the older version, as for me it was easier to see the state of the repos at a glance. Maybe this could be offered as an option in future versions for those not so keen on bland / drab.

I also miss the file tree view and the stage options. Hopefully these eventually find their way back.

Otherwise I like (and use) SourceTree a lot.

0 votes
Kai Gillmann
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 16, 2016

It isn't even consistent. I found windows where the old icons still reside. And I'd like to agree to some of the responses I read (tl;dr). The colors helped to navigate and obtain information. This is lost nearly completely. Good usability, good and clear design which helped managing repos were the reasons why I chose SourceTree back then. This was a huge step backwards... sorry atlassian. Would give a +1 for the old design back and another +1 if the time used for that would've been used for improvements, features, etc. (like bisect and signed commits). Oh and yeah.. Where is the gitflow button? o.O -1

0 votes
clearbrian
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 16, 2016

I don't mind them cleaning up the tool bar as different developers will want different things on their toolbar but don't delete the options from Customize Toolbar so we can put them back in.
I'm a sole developer the ADD/Remove >> Commit >> Push was part of three step/ three minute check in before going home.
now its OPTION + SHIFT + COMMAND + =
or
CLICK ON TINY CHECK BOX in UNSTAGED AREA which I found by accident out of desperation leaving work rushing for train yesterday so send my work home.
Please put back the toolbar buttons in Customize Toolbar
=====
UX - The toolbar on the left has no Empty State:
If you have no Staches/ SubModule/ subtrees clicking on the item in the tree has no effect.
Is it broken or empty I cant tell.
Tapping on the row doesn't activate SHOW/Hide. User needs to hover up and down and then a SHOW magically appears.
Use Case: How do I add a stache?
Weirdly if I click quickly on Staches a CHECK OUT MENU appears but no change of state on the menu itself. I think it was a double click I'm not sure.
Everything in the menu is grey. Grey usually denote disabled in UIs. Also toolbar buttons are either light grey or dark grey. Very hard to distinguish them. I only noticed the staches icon was disabled when I clicked on it and then noticed it was a lighter grey than the other. The look of the UI is nice but has contrast issues. I think this is the lack of color other users are complaining about. Color denoted active button. Grey denoted disable. Moving everything to shades of grey has caused cognitive dissonance to your users who are used to this visual language.
But could be worse I just got my team to stop using TFS plugin for Eclipse. Now THATS a source control client to complain about. It couldn't even handle moving a folder!! So the ADD/REMOVE button is part of my therapy. PUSH A BUTTON ..OH LOOK IT FOUND ALL MY CHANGES!! YIPPEE Smile :)

0 votes
Gabe van der Weijde
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 16, 2016

I don't aim for writing a complete rant in here about the new UI, but it's not an improvement as many of the people here already stated.

This post is basically only here to have another "+1" on the topic.

0 votes
robinsmedberg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 16, 2016

+1

Before this UI update I could just show Sourcetree to developers previously using the terminal to manage their git repositories - "don't you agree this is more user friendly? and this gitflow button makes it a lot easier to work in a uniform manner".

I'm sad to say that's all gone.

1. Bring back the Gitflow button
  2. The selected tabs look horrendous. Why is there a highlighted "|" on the right of a selected tab?
  3. The list of local repositories in the left section has become totally unreadable. It looks like a bunch of crows have been walking around in it.
  4. The new icon for "M"-odified is slightly off to the right and looks really unproffessional 

Otherwise

1. The top menu looks great (missing the Gitflow button though...)
  2. Mid section looks clean and neat
  3. Feels slightly lighter and faster

0 votes
Guillermo Menéndez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 16, 2016

This is the craziest UI update I've ever seen.

I have more than ten configured repos and on older versions I could see any change on them with a quick look, thanks to COLORS. Where have they gone? And what about lines? It's all messed up.

And worst thing of all, where's the Gitflow button?

Every text on the window has the same font and style, so it's impossible to tell the difference between branches, files, repos, commits, pending changes.. this is driving me mad.

Going back to previous version till someone fixes this.

And BTW, this is not reluctance to changes, I do like changes when they are for good.

0 votes
Federico Polo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 16, 2016

Getting terribly tired of all this horrible awful utterly ugly trending flat design. Another downgrade here.

0 votes
Liu ChunJie
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 16, 2016

reverted back. and disable update 

0 votes
Deleted user February 16, 2016

I came here to rant about the craptacular and ridiculous new UI for sourcetree and low and behold the first post on source tree support is "Did anyone really think that the new UI was an improvement?"

*Lets out a long drawn out sigh*

Where do you even begin with this crap. There is literally only 3 primary colors. White, light grey (*cough off white), and black text. With the only other sub color of blue for selected tabs. White and light grey, why stop there when you could have gone full monochrome black and white!

The icons are totally colorless and are 1 pixel wide outlines. Really? REALLY? Good god, are these "designers" even aware of technology trends aka 4k+ screen resolutions. I can't imagine what those colorless 2 color monochrome 1 pixel outline for icons are going to look like on a 4k resolution.

It is a unbelievably horrible color scheme. Can some "designer" please explain how this colorless monochrome monstrosity ..

.SourceTree Changes.png

... is supposed to be better then this colorful easy on the eyes clearly defined clearly structured ui.

sourcetreeprev.png

The old UI was far more colorful. You didn't have to focus and guess where one pane started and the other stopped, using COLOR allows the design to stand out, to clearly define borders so you don't have to stop and focus where one part starts and another stops.

What makes it worse is that I don't even see an option to revert back to the old ui.

Who the hell are these so called "designers" who think colorless, borderless, flat, empty, blank, color blind ui's are the shit, and so very modern, and stylistic. Friggin VS.NET has become the same way. As well as many of the new windows metro style apps that seem to focus on little to no ui, little to no information density, and little to no use of color.

Again who the hell are these "designers" that think the use of color is a bad idea. At the very least you should have given us the option to revert back to the old ui color scheme/style. Not a happy camper. Grumpy. GRUMPY!!!

Makes me want to break out bucket of black tar, and pillow case of white feathers, and sit on a curb with binoculars and wait for a "designer" to walk by so I can douse them with the bucket of tar, beat them with the pillow case of feathers then point at them and yell "Hey look how colorful you are, there's black, and there's white. It's very stylish"

0 votes
Lewis Purvis
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 16, 2016

AHHHHHH! this is awful! i can see what you were going for UI-wise but this is the worst version of Flat/minimalist design i have ever seen!  I find it unusable in its current state. The tabs looked like badly written html buttons where the CSS only looks good in a single browser, and this is no it! It hasn't been long so for the good of people sticking with your product please release version 1.9.0, with the old UI until you get yourselves together. Was beginning to like sourcetree as well...

0 votes
Erik Simonič
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 16, 2016

Updated, It looks like it was made by blind people. And it si buggy as hell. Reverted to old version, and disabled updates. Enough of this!

0 votes
Christoph Wagner
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 16, 2016

The new UI sucks. No alignment, no color, no usability. You should get better interns doing the work on Sourcetree.

0 votes
Michał Kubiak
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 16, 2016

Yeah, where is the Tree View? The most usable view option there is got removed because "Performace"? Also the UI is not readable enough. Maybe it got simplified but hell it is not readable at all!

0 votes
Nazir
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 16, 2016

Why? Why did you do that?

0 votes
Scott Bedard
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 16, 2016

Smouldering pile of cow dung....

1) the tabs bugs where is it resets to the File Status tab without any input from me so I lose any work I was just doing

2) search doesn't work

3) file sorting doesn't work

4) etc, etc.....

5) and the UI looks horrible....everything looks the same and is hard to find.

6) oh, and all the other bugs and usability quirks not mentioned above

Do these guys use their own tool? If they did, they wouldn't live with these issues. I know it's free but to make something worse and worse is not excusable.

0 votes
Tim Ahrens February 16, 2016

What? No GitFlow button? Not only did you bury it in some drill down, but it is WAAAAAAAAY down.  It's not like there is no room up top for the old button.  Hey, allow users to shut it off so it does not display (if they are not using GitFlow, that would make sense), but for those of us who use GitFlow, how does hiding it deep in some menu help us?? It doesn't even show up right away - it takes like a second to appear...

Also, am I the only one that is seeing an annoying box with a question mark in it over the first character of every line in the diff window in the lower right of the screen.  

Sorry, I know it takes time to get used to things when they change, but so far, it seems like a serious downgrade so far...

And another crazy thing - I installed the new version, and tried to submit a pull request in Bitbucket in a browser, and oddly, they UI was messed up and it hung when I selected the branch to merge to.  Uninstalled SourceTree and installed the older version, UI in Bitbucket in my browser went back to normal and no longer hung up. Are they related somehow??? Or is it just a coincidence that as soon as I uninstall the new version the Bitbucket web app starts displaying and working normally.

Problem solved, just downgraded to the older version smile

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events