Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did anyone really think that the new UI was an improvement?

Viewing page 8 of 9

203 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Tony Gayter February 16, 2016

Im glad Im not the only one that thinks this new design is useless. Everything merges into one box of text with no colour or contrast to split it up. Why take git flow button away!?!? I found it in teh menu but it errors when I try and create a new feature. Useless, I actually though it was broken when I opened it.

Was there no user testing done on this product at all?

0 votes
Edoardo Liotta February 16, 2016

+1 to @Daniel Krämer about the readability of the modification icons.

For example: As many pointed out the distinction of modification (added / removed / modified) was clear and understandable, using language independent symbols (+ / - / ...) that where even color-coded. How the change to the new design here is "not tiresome" to you is beyond me and I would like to hear why you think that way.

As per another lost color-code, +1 to @Rasmus Mikkelsen:

• No color, why only use variants of gray and blue, its really hard to find anything at a glance

Just my two cents, I second @Joshua Wilke's request:

I really would like the option to have the old theme. Maybe you could let the user choose the old theme or this new flat theme.

0 votes
Sharon Hinde
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2016

I had to uninstall the Windows 1.8 version within an hour because it kept switching to the File Status view when I wanted Log History. If I switched back to the Log History within seconds it had flipped to File Status again. Completely useless when you're actually trying to read what's happening in any other tab than File Status. Never seen that behaviour before and it was incredibly annoying.

And yes, the flat UI is a step back, but even worse was changing the file status icons. As others have noted the previous versions were clear. The new letters seem to go against all design instincts, forcing users to hover to figure out what they mean - don't make me think!

0 votes
Shawna O'Neal February 16, 2016

The new version is ridiculously hard to read, and quite frankly looks like an intern project. 

I'll be looking for an install to go back to the previous theme.

0 votes
Joshua Wilke February 16, 2016

Quote from Melek Rebai:

The new user interface looks like a wireframe and not a final product.

The icons are terrible.

The tabs are extremely bad looking.

I really would like the option to have the old theme. Maybe you could let the user choose the old theme or this new flat theme.

+1

0 votes
Steveiwonder February 16, 2016

Really dislike this update.

It also has more bugs.

No GitFlow button on the main UI (have to go into menu).

Keeps crashing when doing simple things like Create Pull Request.

Bad move.

0 votes
rekerukuru February 16, 2016

The new version is terrible. The new design gives a bad readibility. And I have tons of crash when I use it... I'm going back on the previous one ! 

0 votes
Markus Stenudd February 16, 2016

The diff window where you can stage / discard hunks / lines is just horrible, if you have some long lines (yes some people do that) buttons are hidden and u need to scroll to right to see them, and the functionality barely works, were giving errors that I could not revert some simple changes, which can't even be reproduced now, you can no longer select with SHIFT key, trying to copy the lines and paste them manually resulting in that the copied text is somehow backwards.

0 votes
Markus Stenudd February 16, 2016

UI now looks like Windows 3.x

0 votes
Jesse Degger February 16, 2016

I couldn't care less about the flat design, as long as it is functional I'm not complaining but where is my GitFlow button! The button absolutely needs to come back!

0 votes
MS February 16, 2016

The new UI is terrible. Also please bring back the GitFlow button.

0 votes
Andreas Vandenberghe February 16, 2016

i just "upgraded" to Sourcetree 1.8.0 build 36401 and the UI is now horrible. Is there a way back to how it was ? 

0 votes
Ola Mårtensson February 16, 2016

Personally I have strongly disliked flat UIs ever since this "flat trend" started, but this one takes the price. This is the not only one of the ugliest I've seen but it also completely worthless from a usability point-of-view. I'm sorry for the harsh words but this is bad.

If you lack things to improve in the SourceTree client please add support for using different diff-tools for different file types instead. That would be useful.

0 votes
Daniel Krämer February 16, 2016

@Honza Honza If you read my initial post you will see that I do agree that there might be beauty in simplicity, but only if it is done well - which considering the responses here is not entirely the case.

For example: As many pointed out the distinction of modification (added / removed / modified) was clear and understandable, using language independent symbols (+ / - / ...) that where even color-coded. How the change to the new design here is "not tiresome" to you is beyond me and I would like to hear why you think that way.

And calling out criticism as reactionary here is bold, when you have a divergent opinion on a topic.

0 votes
Dave Grandon February 16, 2016

Yes, I have an old version downloaded but always keep my software up to date unless there are lots of bugs in the latest version. Just disappointed that there is no option for my own theme

0 votes
glinse_director February 16, 2016

This is the latest downloadable version of windows with the old theme https://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/SourceTreeSetup_1.7.0.32509.exe

0 votes
Dave Grandon February 16, 2016

I totally agree, if this is a precurser to adding themes so we can change the look and feel then ok I can accept that

0 votes
Honza Honza February 16, 2016

Seems I'm the only one who likes it. I admin "There is beauty in simplicty". It's not tiresome anymore, it's more airy and colors are very pleasant. Good job Atlassian and don't look at those reactionaries.

0 votes
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2016

Also agree

Flat design, no contrast - feels like gooing back to the good old green/black terminals with ASCII-Graphics

As @Rasmus Mikkelsen said:

Having all the icons (modified, untraced, ....) in the same colour makes the GUI "unreadable"

Having different line spacings in Bookmarks, Filelist und Log makes the GUI look like crap

0 votes
Matt Butler February 16, 2016

@Jeff Pek - Based on this...

https://jira.atlassian.com/projects/SRCTREEWIN?selectedItem=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin%3Arelease-page&status=all

The Windows version you probably want is...

https://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/SourceTreeSetup_1.6.25.exe

No idea how long it will be supported with the recent switch to Atlassian logons, but it might see you through this time of UI upheaval.

0 votes
Rasmus Mikkelsen February 16, 2016

Agree, the new UI is a step back

• No contrast
  • Everything seems smaller and more crammed together and often not aligned
  • No color, why only use variants of gray and blue, its really hard to find anything at a glance
  • Alignment of UI elements seems "off", i.e., it looks like a new skin was applied but no one took their time to actually align everything to the new sizes
0 votes
Mark Beech February 16, 2016

The distinction between a modified file and an untraced file is not massively obvious anymore sad

Could have at lease kept the yellow background on the modified icon.

0 votes
jeffpek February 16, 2016

How can we install an older Windows build? The above is a Mac build.

I'm finding all kinds of problems with the new version (e.g., doesn't show all pending changes – yikes!).

0 votes
Muhammad Ishaq February 15, 2016

FWIW, if you want to go back, you can download it here: http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/SourceTree_2.1.dmg (taken from: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/290155 )

0 votes
jeffpek February 15, 2016

Agree. I don't like it either. Plus, the changes have introduced some regressions: 

- Submodule repo tabs are automatically closed when you activate ST

- Can no longer reorder repo tabs (right-hand side)

Having some color back would be nice – and what's with the new modification icons?? Yuck.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events