Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did anyone really think that the new UI was an improvement?

Viewing page 5 of 9

203 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Ivan Golubovic February 17, 2016

On mac with non-retina display all fonts in main window are too small/thin really hard to read compared to previous version. On sidebar there is too much space above and below small font.

Flat design of toolbar also all elements to dark gray and thin and hard to look on light gray background plus too even smaller text and less readable.

Really big step back from previous version as far as visuals go.

0 votes
Denis Martin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 17, 2016

Well they got some designer working!!! But you guys fucking broke some core functionality again...!!!!

Can't move folders on the stage anymore!!! sad

0 votes
janderson_SP
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 17, 2016

I don't mind the UI changes, but the new 1.8 version was completely unusable for me - repeatedly crashed and hung. It was also buggy - if only one file had changes in the Staged FIles section of the File Status tab, I couldn't see the changes in the diff pane. Rolled back to 1.7.

0 votes
Deleted user February 17, 2016

I love the new UI. It seems more uniform, especially on Windows 10.

Now throw a Dark UI (it should be simpler now with flat icons and controls) in there, Atlassian, and we're good to go for the long run.

Keep up the good work!

0 votes
Dave Allen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

The UI changes aren't particularly pleasant, but some of the functional issues were shocking. Not being able to see the full diff makes it unusable.

You can't complain too much over a free tool, and in general sourcetree is great, but given the quality of previous versions I'm surprised this version ever made it to release...

0 votes
David Morton
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

I usually try not to complain about interface changes...  but there's just nothing better than before and a whole lot worse.   Worst of all, the dialog that shows the command progress when committing gets stuck.  All I can do it kill -9 on the process.

0 votes
Hans Merkl February 17, 2016

How about they provide some functionality instead of fiddling with the UI? The first versions had a nice functional UI. 

0 votes
mogzol
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

Hmm, looks like 1.8 has been pulled, the download button on the sourcetree site links to 1.7, and my 1.7 version says that its up to date. If they did pull it then thank god, it was an unfinished piece of garbage. I don't really care if they want to go with a flat design, but if they do, at least make it usable. The ms office suite is a great example of a nice-looking, functional flat design. Sourcetree 1.8 on the other hand, was a great example of one of the worst ui's I have ever used, flat or not.

0 votes
Doug C. Hardester February 17, 2016

I also agree that the new UI is a big step back. I think it does a terrible job of answering one of the most important questions that every designer and developer should ask: How does this help the user?

In a way it looks like they attempted to answer this question but the execution was subpar.

New icons that are hard to discern from one another. A complete lack of color. The icons don't even match work well with the newer Windows 10 or OS X Yosemite+ aesthetics. (I do like that the commit icon is a diamond ring, that adds some character.)

Simply removing buttons was a poor solution to cleaning up the UI. That's lazy. If you want to ship the app that way, that's okay, not great. But the user should be able to manage what does and doesn't appear.

File indicators have taken a step backward too. For instance why is a removed file indicated with a D? Shouldn't it be R? The tooltip even says "Removed." It's confusing.

The workspace options were moved into the sidebar. Why? The former button group works just fine.

0 votes
Bill Dinger
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

i've never actually uninstalled an update before. regardless of the ui issues having core functionality such as "deletes" not working and extremely buggy crashy behavior on things like "Scrolling" indicates this was a rushed build that wasn't QA'd very well and I want no part of.

I realize it's free, and thank you for a really good outstanding product for the most part, but you can do better than whatever the eff 1.8.1 is.

0 votes
Camilo A Gonzalez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

+1 on this forum, please bring the old UI back (and enhance it, don't make it worse please!)

0 votes
jon_tjs February 17, 2016

It looks like an internal dev-preview, with the next being to get a designer to make it look reasonable. As though somebody gave a developer a bunch of icons & style guidelines and left them to get on with it, with no proper design input.

But the functional bugs (in the Windows version, can't speak for the Mac version) are an embarrassment:

• Double-clicking a modified file's name to open it crashes Sourcetree
  • Git Flow button is gone from the toolbar
  • I keep landing on the "File Status" tab when I want to be on "Log / History"
  • branches are not indented underneath the "Branches" heading
  • double-clicking the "Branches" heading yields an error "No branch called Branches" or somesuch - that one made me laugh out loud!
  • hunk backgrounds that don't extend the full width of their container
  • can't shift-click to select a range of lines to stage
  • various regions with what look like borders are missing

I do note that my home PC's on the last-but-one 1.7.32509 version and says there are no new updates, and the download page links to that same 1.7.x version, so maybe 1.8 has been pulled... 

0 votes
Hans Merkl February 17, 2016

First the nonsense with the checkboxes for staging and now the flat icons. They are working hard on making the tool worse with every release.

0 votes
nlemoine
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

+1

The modified files icon color is invisible now.

0 votes
Giovanni Mattucci
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

The icons have blurry pixels. Fail.

0 votes
Serhii
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

Another +1 message, the only benefit of this "update" that more people will start using console. But some things(like conflicts resolving) are much better to do with GUI client, IMHO...It is good that we have many alternatives.

P.S.
And guess, will they listen to the community? Nope.

0 votes
Travis Whidden
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

I kinda like the new UI, but something is with the product now.   100% CPU with increasing memory while "Not Responding" - I freshly installed my Windows 10 yesterday, so maybe its just me – but I don't think this is right.  http://take.ms/Uwzqk

0 votes
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2016

According to their blog: Yes.

http://blog.sourcetreeapp.com/

0 votes
BlueRaja February 17, 2016

Update looks like shit, there's no color/contrast, half the buttons are gone, and I can't even read my branch names anymore.  If you want us to stop using your software that badly, just tell us.

0 votes
Roberto HDLL
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

Really a bad decision... the now I have problems with the gitFlow options and WHYYY you drop the gitFlow Button... , I going to install an old version...

0 votes
adripc64
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

I've updated SourceTree today and the new UI is dreadful. I've had to uninstall the app, then reinstall it with the 1.6.25 installer and update it to 1.7.x manually!

Please, restore the previous UI for coming releases. I think almost all users disagree with the new UI.

0 votes
Vladimir J
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

This latest update to the UI is really not good work. Compared to the older design, focus is lost and the use of colors, especially on the icons, got trimmed down. This degrades the experience and fails to communicate important information to the user about the state of a repository.

I really hope to see some work put into bringing it back to the point we had before, readability wise. For now I downgraded and will wait until we get a new option that actually betters the situation on the UI front. 

0 votes
Tim Jones
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

This update burned me as well. Contrast, especially with pop up windows are too hard to view. Simple things like staging a deleted file were broken on my install.  Chocolately ftw.  I will no longer automatically apply updates.  So sad.  I really, really like this tool on 1.7 otherwise.

0 votes
David Anderson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

Came here to complain about the new UI (windows user here).

The tree view not working (despite the option existing in the settings), AND sorting options not working make this a total deal breaker.

Will be downgrading immediately, the update was a tremendous step backwards.. What were you guys thinking?

0 votes
Piotr Hlawski February 17, 2016

Sorry, new UI sucks. It's amateurish. New colours, or rather almost lack of them, are completely unreadable. Before with red colour I was able to get the info about pushes/pulls immediately. Now this info is lost. 

Downgraded.

PS. I hope you've read all those comments above and you'll come back with improved UI

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events