Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did anyone really think that the new UI was an improvement?

Viewing page 4 of 9

203 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Hans Merkl February 19, 2016

RE: SourceTree being free and not bringing in revenue. I understand their resources are limited but then they shouldn't be wasting those resources with redesigns. I honestly think the people working on SourceTree now don't understand their product and its uses. The first versions of SourceTree were right on and showed a good understanding of git. Then there was a break. Since then most changes were just meaningless or a step back.

0 votes
Adam Hošek
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 19, 2016

I don't like the color-less outline icons. And they look just terrible on non-retina screen.

0 votes
Nico Verwer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 19, 2016

I agree with the original post and most of the comments. I could probably get used a bit to the new UI (my colleagues using Macs like it), but it's the bugs that drive me crazy.

I'll be another happy 1.7 user for a long time to come.

0 votes
Deleted user February 19, 2016

The urge to have minimal colors just drives me nuts.  With that woe combined with the following bug, I uninstalled and went back to 1.7.  I'll be avoiding updates for as long as I can.  

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-4197

0 votes
gaurav February 19, 2016

I think flat ui is great , But there should be option to add some menu items to toolbar like "GIT Flow" & GIT LFS

0 votes
ARQuattr
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 19, 2016

I completely agree with most of this.  I found this tryinig to see it if was just me.  Very unstable, crashing frequently, especially when doing an external merge, won't start because it shows as already running in the background and have to kill it.  I don't care much for the UI, but I could live with it.  The most frustrating part is how it keeps switching back to the File Status tab, even immediately after switching to the Log tab.  Horrible.  The crashing and File Status switching is pushing me to find a way to load an old version.  (This is the Windows version.)

0 votes
oskaremil February 18, 2016

The new UI is utter crap. 

I haven't used it much because it crashes on some common operation all the time so I got that going for me which is nice.....

The new version is so full of bugs I won't even bother to list or report them all. 

http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/SourceTreeSetup_1.5.2.exe

0 votes
Lisias February 18, 2016

Giving the software for free is not an excuse for the current deplorable Quality Control practices.

This is a (critical) productivity tool, not a fancy game or similar low impact software.

When ST gone free about a year ago (or something like this), I feared the state of the things would reach the way it is now: a buggy, low budgeted, low quality product.

Let's face the reality: currently Atlassian appears to had entered a Race to the Bottom: since ST has no financial revenue, there's little paid workforce on it, but yet this software plays some strategical hole on the company. What's bad business on a tool that is the front end for your paid services.

My advice? Go back charging money for the tool (so you can pay the guys) or just open the source and wave the responsibilities for the product development, and then just pack a branded version (something like Eclipse).

Believe me, this sequence of (serious) flaws and setbacks are not improving the Atlassian image on the customers. GIT-X is ugly and cumbersome as hell, but the damn thing works.

0 votes
dodonew February 18, 2016

New "features" (imho bugs)

1) Shift button is not usable when selecting lines in diff window. It can be done now by mouse, but in my opinion both should work.

2) Having different white background rectangles in diff window is irritating.

3) Automatic switch to File Status tab is irritating. If I want to switch, I'll switch myself. Tool should not assume what I want to have.

+1 for git flow as well.

0 votes
Kai Widmann
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 18, 2016

I donwgraded to 2.1. I really don't mind UI chnanges that much, as long as all functionality is somehow still there. Like many others I miss the GitFlow Button and I also miss the buttons to switch between views (File Status, Log and Search).

0 votes
Aaron-IPV February 18, 2016

Look and feel wise, I don't mind. BUT.
I enjoyed using SourceTree as a fairly stable, reliable product that massively helped my workflow.

Today, it's automatically updated to the new version, and I have encountered not just a couple, but without any exaggeration a freeze/crash EVERY TIME I try to push/pull from the remote when there's a conflict or files that need committing. I.e. any dialogue box that comes up totally kills the program.

I'm about to uninstall ST and find something else. (Edit, just saw a downgrade to 2.1 that was linked in here... )

0 votes
Roy Leban February 18, 2016

Whoever thought that having all the icons look almost identical should be replaced. I know this is free software now, but we paid for copies for the whole company before it was free and it is frustrating to see it get worse and worse.

0 votes
Ken Stanfield February 18, 2016

I just downgraded to 1.7.0 and order has been restored to the universe.

I appreciate that this is free software, and I'm thankful that Atlassian has created it. However, the way in which 1.8.0 / 1.8.1 was rolled out is a cautionary tale for all software vendors.

When planning a major UI facelift, it's incumbent on the vendor to:

A) solicit feedback from users and power user in advance of the rollout;

B) have solid regression testing in place to guarantee that core features continue to work with the new UI (once it has been vetted by the community)

0 votes
Ken Stanfield February 18, 2016

Whether or not the new UI is an improvement (or a step backwards) is one issue.

Another issue is whether Atlassian sufficiently tested the new UI before releasing this bug farm on the world. I'm very disappointed in the lack of testing for core features that was part and parcel of this update.

I can crash the Windows version of SourceTree with just a few clicks in the graph. And whenever I do anything, my view keeps switching from "Log / History" to "File Status". When I click on branches in the left-hand nav section, the graph only snaps to the branch about half the time. Sometimes, I need to repeatedly click on a branch 3 or 4 times to get it to show up in the graph. This is typically when SourceTree crashes.

Also, I can no longer drag files from "Unstaged" to "Staged". I now must use the checkboxes.

IMO, this was a disasterous release by Atlassian, and I hope "the powers that be" have learned some valuable lessons. I depend on SourceTree for my day-to-day tasks, and my productivity has been killed since the UI facelift.

0 votes
cagdascubukcu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 18, 2016

I am also curious why language dependent icons "M","D","A" were used to state changes on a file. Most possibly it will not work for any language except English.

0 votes
Thomas Nimstad
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 18, 2016

Looks like they removed the Mac 2.2 release. Not sure if they have, but they definitely should. It's a nightmare release.

For all of you on Mac 2.2 you can downgrade from here:
http://downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/SourceTree_2.1.dmg

0 votes
Michael Benz February 18, 2016

Still running on 1.5.2.0 because of readability within the commit dialogs. Later version added too much margin and padding which made it unusable for larger commits.

Trying to install the new version 1.8.1 which was taken down for now just crashed on all tested systems and could only be used when installed after deleting bookmarks or the complete old appdata

0 votes
Muhammad Ishaq February 17, 2016

Good move Atlassian. They have rolled back Mac version (only on the site), if you click download button it downloads 2.1. However, if you do a "Check for Updates..." from inside the app, it can still see 2.2

I went back to 2.0 instead of 2.1, the last version with the outlines (which makes revision graphs a lot more readable).

0 votes
Paul Beattie February 17, 2016

We use verbose branch names, and no matter how wide I make the side bar all the branch names are truncated and end with an ... 

Please can the names expand to the width of the sidebar.

How do I get to GitFlow now?

Cheers Paul

-> Grabbing the right hand edge of the side bar and dragon it all the way to the left (until it disappears and then out again fixed this. So staying with the update !!! wink

0 votes
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2016

Atlassian obviously has rolled back to SourceTreeWin 1.7 - at least the download on the main page https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/download/ loads SourceTree 1.7.0.32509 again and UpdateCheck on running 1.7.0 instance detects no available update again.

Same seems to be valid for SrcTreeMac - download points to 2.1 again ...

0 votes
Deleted user February 17, 2016

Worst design ever. How can you release this? Was there like nobody on the team that thought....hmmm this looks like shit and it functions like shit? Is this from a parallel universe, where they think this is what sourcetree should be like? I will keep using the previous version.

0 votes
Coleman Foley
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

The more colorful UI both looked better and was more usable.

0 votes
Wu Zhenkun
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

I like flat design, but this one is a bad design, no matter flat or not.

It is surprised to see a pretty nice application became shoddy in ONE update. What happened to you, Atlassian? 

0 votes
aachinfiev
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 17, 2016

I can't believe that they slapped some flat poorly designed icons instead of beautiful UI that SourceTree had that attracted most people to begin with. "Modern" UI doesn't mean so primitive looking. Please add an option to use Classic look & feel. Such major UI enhancements need to be rolled out as a "try this look" option instead of completely breaking existing UI functionality with completely replacing existing work. 

This new UI makes it a totally step backwards in aesthetics, usability and functionality of the application. At least let users use previous UI otherwise this product will be stuck at version 1.7 as the last version that every makes sense to use. Thank you. 

0 votes
Lisias February 17, 2016

Terrible step back. I hated the new UI.

I will unroll to the previous version - or forget about this tool.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events