Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dark theme on source tree windows

Trading March 18, 2019

There are some links on the Internet that seem to suggest that a dark theme is available for source tree on Windows. The latest information that I can find from the official blog of sorcery suggests that a dark theme was available for Mac OS in July 2017.

https://blog.sourcetreeapp.com/2017/07/17/engineering-a-darker-sourcetree/

I downloaded the latest version of source tree for windows today. However, I do not find any option for dark theme.

Can anyone please confirm if there is a dark theme available for windows or not? I have medical problems and I find it difficult to use source tree. 

If source tree does not have a dark theme, can you please suggest any other get a client that may have a dark theme. May be a third party that is not your direct competitors

Thank you for any inputs

8 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 19, 2019

Hi

We have not yet released the dark theme for Windows, although it is being actively developed and has been put out for alpha testing. We are expecting to release it as part of v3.2 during this quarter.

mciesla June 28, 2019

Hi, 

could we suppose that dark theme will be in near time? because next quarter will end for a while or just end.

Thanks you in advace

Like Hengzhi Shao likes this
Hengzhi Shao July 3, 2019

Hi @mciesla ,

Currently released Version has reached 3.1.3, so I guess whenever 3.2 come out, we will finally have dark theme?

Like # people like this
Trading August 3, 2019

Hello @mciesla 

thanks for your earlier response in March 2019. The quarter should be over by now. Is there any hope of a release of the dark theme?

Like # people like this
Jean-Sebastien Breault August 5, 2019

I just tried version 3.2.4.3480 and it is there. Under Options > General then select Dark in the Theme dropdown menu then click OK.

Like # people like this
Trading August 5, 2019

Thank you for your useful response. Can you please advise where did you get the 3.2.4 version? On the website of source tree app.com, I am still getting 3.1.3 version. There is a link to 3.2 version in the i archive sections but I am not sure if it is supported. We do not want to get into a situation where we get the dark theme but have bugs in the basic functionality.

Thank you for any inputs @Jean-Sebastien Breault 

Jean-Sebastien Breault August 6, 2019

I used the update feature right inside the application. Under Options > Updates. I clicked on the Update button.

So far the application is behaving normally.

Enjoy!

mciesla August 6, 2019

@Jean-Sebastien Breault so you had option to update to version 3.2.4.3480 ? 

Thanks in advance

Jean-Sebastien Breault August 6, 2019

Yes. Like I said, it was right into Tools > Options > Updates!

Enjoy!

LuisEdoPR August 14, 2019

Hi guys, I had 3.1.2 version, but now I know how get 3.2.5 version with dark theme for your sourcetree in windows. In the end of this page I explain how do you get it.

dharmaturtle September 18, 2019

@minnsey 

Unfortunately, I have to give negative feedback. Why is everything tinted *blue*??? It doesn't seem so much a dark theme as a blue theme. The lack of contrast on the left panel is annoying, especially if you're running Flux (which you should be if you're in dark mode).

image.png

Also, for HTML your font colors need significant tweaking. Here's GitKraken on the left, SourceTree on the right. (Why is red even a possible font color at all???!?!?!?!?)image.pngI'm complaining, but please know that I'm glad you guys are moving in this direction.

Like # people like this
Prasanth January 17, 2021

@minnsey It's Jan 18, 2021 today. 

9 votes
Romeo Dumitrescu August 17, 2019

You can get the new version (and skip the whole updates fiasco) by downloading it directly. It will update your old version to the new one:

https://product-downloads.atlassian.com/software/sourcetree/windows/ga/SourceTreeSetup-3.2.5.exe

Then, go to Tools>Options and General/Theme and select Dark

Capture.PNG

Hengzhi Shao August 20, 2019

What an elegant solution! :D

3 votes
LuisEdoPR August 14, 2019

Hi guys...

some people have the same problem that I had yesterday, and the problem was that I didn't know how to get the sourcetree latest version that includes dark theme on windows...

But I know right now. So it's easy, you need to have the version 3.1.3 installed in your PC, some people have 3.1.2 and when they try to update that version in the sourcetree options, maybe didn't find any updates, so you need to go to sourcetree official pages and click the download button in the main page, it will start downloading the version 3.1.3 and you need to install that version.

imagen.png

After that finally you have the version 3.1.3 and you need to open the option in the menu TOOLS -> OPTIONS -> UPDATES and sourcetree can detect the new update to version 3.2.5, let's do it. you need to download that version (3.2.5) and to restart your app sourcetree.

imagen.png

After the restart, you can open TOOLS -> OPTIONS -> GENERAL and in that panel you can change your theme, wow there is a dark theme available.

imagen.png

I hope this post helps you.

Bye and best regards for all

Hengzhi Shao August 14, 2019

Thank you so much!

My issue was:

• I had the "latest" 3.1.3 installed already
  • no updates were detected
  • Manual update button were also gray and disabled

Applying the fix:

1. download the latest 3.1.3 from sourcetree
  2. install on top of my existing sourcetree (I didn't uninstall)
  3. Open sourcetree and now it detects new update 3.2.5.3517
Like # people like this
Trading August 14, 2019

thank you both. Will try this out

Like Hengzhi Shao likes this
Eric Augustinowicz August 15, 2019

I could not access 3.2.5. Here is what I tried:

I first installed 3.1.3 from the official pages (I did not have a previous installation installed). I am on Windows 10 ,and I followed along with your steps, @LuisEdoPR but the update button was disabled. The update notifications checkbox is also locked for some reason and the text for that checkbox is missing.

313disabled.png

Next I tried installing the latest on top of itself again, to try out your strategy, @Hengzhi Shao It did not unlock the button for me.

Out of curiosity, I decided to install an archived version and update that. The button was enabled, which had me excited.

312disabled.png

But clicking it gave this error:

error.png

I have my fingers crossed that I can get my hands on 3.2 and the dark theme soon. I'm eager to make this my go-to git client but the standard theme is too harsh for me to justify it right now. 

Manolis Skouris August 15, 2019

I had the same issue and fixed it by uninstalling and installing the latest 3.1.3. Afterwards, I was able to check for updates and update to 3.2 with the dark theme

Like Eric Augustinowicz likes this
Hengzhi Shao August 15, 2019

Hi @Eric Augustinowicz ,
From a few people's reported experience, they suggest that getting update to 3.2.5 is like rolling a dice:

• On each completed install of 3.1.3, you get a chance to roll a dice
    • Regardless of fresh install or reinstalling on top
  • If the roll was successful, you get to update to 3.2.5
  • If the roll was unsuccessful, nothing happens, update option is disabled.

That seems to be the most sensible interpretation of what's going on currently.

Trading August 15, 2019

I have given up and moved to fork git client for most of the work and source tree for occasional heavy lifting.fork s faster than sourcetree

1 vote
Levan Kekelidze March 21, 2020

So strange, that when switching to the Dark Theme, you get the Blue Theme instead (OK, Dark Blue, but still).

What I was expecting is the traditional Dark Theme, the one you can see in Visual Studio Code, IntelliJ IDEA etc. 

1 vote
sfoisy November 4, 2019

Hey guys, I was very excited to try the new dark theme but much to my disappointment the colors render it completely unusable. Any chance you would consider you'd consider implementing a solution like VSCODE that allows user to add their own theme config and cycle through multiple version. While I'm coding I peronally change theme depending on the lighting or how tired my eyes are and while I do enjoy the app and other atlassian products the colors dont translate so well for my coding space lol

0 votes
Edoardo Molinatti March 4, 2022

Hi all,

the dark theme is pretty good overall, so thank you for that!

Unfortunately, there are still minor glitches, the most annoying is the one about the colors of the cut/copy/paste context menu (e.g. right-click on a selected string):

SourceTree_context1.png

SourceTree_context2.png
I have the main OS (Windows) in Italian, that's why you see the menu items "Taglia" (Cut), "Copia" (Copy), "Incolla" (Paste).

I have SourceTree v3.4.7 for Windows 64bit.

If you could solve this it would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you

Edoardo Molinatti April 29, 2022

About this issue, I opened a bug on Jira.

0 votes
Thong Trinh August 25, 2019

I received this error when checking for update:

Remote release File is empty or corrupted

0 votes
Adrian Martinez August 6, 2019

I have just updated to version 3.2.5 and the Dark theme is available at Tools/Options/Theme

Trading August 6, 2019

Thank you both @Adrian Martinez  and @Jean-Sebastien Breault for your helpful responses. Unfortunately I am not seeing the ability to update from the source tree version 3.1.2 that I am having. The check for updates button is disabled and if I try to manually update it Then also it is not enabled. Looks like ok the 3.2.version is not available to everyone. Not getting any responses from customer support also .t please advise if you can think of any solution otherwise I guess I will just wait and hope and cross my fingers for an update

@minnsey can you please respond. Thanks you

Trading August 7, 2019

@Jean-Sebastien Breault  looks like you may be using Mac because max has 3.2.1 on public. I upgraded to 3.1.2 on Windows and out is even worse than 3.0.1

Jean-Sebastien Breault August 7, 2019

I use Windows 10. Many company release their software in batch to avoid pushing a faulty environment everywhere. At this point, I have no other ideas.

The good news is that it's gonna happen soon.

And it looks very nice!

jira_source_tree_dark_curated.png

Like # people like this
Trading August 7, 2019

Thank you for your prompt responses. You have been very helpful and may God bless you.

I guess I will have to wait for the dark theme

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events