Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Pull Request from clone to remote origin

Zachary Thomas May 15, 2019

Hello,

When I create a new repository in bitbucket with no branch permissions and then clone it to my local computer, I'm able to commit to my local and then push to the new remote that I made. If I change the branch permissions to only allow changes to be made to the remote repository via pull request, then I'm not able to create a pull request from my clone so that changes can be pushed to the remote. Instead I have to fork the remote repo and then clone the fork and commit to clone, push to fork, and then do pull request from fork to the remote.

My question is why can't I create a pull request from my clone and once approved push to the origin? Is it absolutely necessary to go through a fork if I require pull request.

I think I'm misunderstanding a basic priniciple of git.

Thanks

Zach Thomas

1 answer

0 votes
Auwal MS May 15, 2019

Hello @Zachary Thomas ,

If you own the repo and cloned it to work locally. You will need to create a branch locally and work on the feature of your choice and then when you push the branch back online, you should be able to create a pull request to merge into the master branch. Still need clarification? Check out this tutorial on branching by the Atlassian team =>https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/using-branches

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events