Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crash on commit

Dave Grandon August 4, 2016

Hi, it seems that every time I commit atm SourceTree crashes, I did a search here and the only solution I could find was to delete a draft commit message but I don't have one ( see attached  )

It appears that my commits are working as can see my changes in Bitbucket but very annoying that it crashes

Cheers 

27 answers

15 votes
Jörg Rösner October 17, 2019

Basically, I had the same issue. The error occours because no .gitconfig will create during the setup of 3.2.4. or you have missed to check the checkbox to create user information during setup wizard.

Open Sourcetree and check "File status" - you will see that there no user is available:

1.png

Fix the Issue

Close Sourcetree

To fix the issue open the explorer and navigate to: C:\Users\

Open the folder with your username

In this folder you should have a file with name ".gitconfig". If the file not exist, create it (It is no typo, the name will written with the dot at the beginning of the filename: .gitconfig

2.png

Open the existing / new file with an editor and add the following lines to the end of the file

[user]
name = User
email = Email

For "User" use a standard name (It is not the Windows Username meant)

For "Email" use a standard email Address

3.png

Save the file and start Source Tree again. You will see now, that a user is available in the "Status History".

4.png

BTW.: You can find your old user data in your last commits:

Go to "History" and select a commit. Here you can see in the commit information for the "Autor": Your old data. You should use the the same data as before to keep the structure:

5.png

Greets CR

DjdjHacks November 12, 2019

It works.

carlcortez December 4, 2019

Patrick Klein December 14, 2019

Thank you so much!!!

Bart Van Hoecke December 24, 2019

thx!

7 votes
Hrp September 14, 2019

3 years, no solution. you know, there are other free solutions out there

Gudakesh September 15, 2019

it was crashing for me upon using Sourcetree v3.2.6 moments ago, so i rolled back to Sourcetree v3.1.2 and now everything is working just fine. Hope that helps!!

Like # people like this
Maciej Kolosko September 22, 2019

v3.2.6 crashed on commit. Reverted to v3.1.3 on windows, and it works. Thanks for the suggestion.

Like # people like this
Gudakesh September 22, 2019

i am glad it helped :)

Gabe Chavez September 23, 2019

I'm giving GitKraken a try.  I love SourceTree, but downgrading to get it to work is just sad.

Like # people like this
Gudakesh September 25, 2019

i agree, let's just hope it get's fixed in upcoming release

Allan Li September 26, 2019

You can revert back to previous versions here -> https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/download-archives

No need to uninstall your current version, just download 3.1.3 and run the install (at least on Windows), and it will overwrite the new version.

Like # people like this
bitkid September 28, 2019

same on 3.2.6

ridiculous as usual

Like rsidhuuk likes this
khangb September 28, 2019

Thanks guys. Reverted to v3.1.3 and it did the trick.

Aggressor October 1, 2019

Crashing for me as well will revert

dabeschte October 2, 2019

Having the same problem and downgrade also did the trick for me, The problem is probably related with the pop-up that sourcetree shows if you did not configure git (name and email), because this was the first thing that I saw when I hit the commit button in the downgraded version.

edit: just noticed that Aggressor came to the same conclusion.

Like Aggressor likes this
koendebrabanter October 3, 2019

Same problem, and reverting to v3.1.3 did the trick. But as already mentioned, it is sad that this is necessary.

James Lenon October 9, 2019

I was able to keep using v3.2.6 by setting my Git name and email address in the global .gitconfig.  This stopped the popup which was crashing Sourcetree.

[user]
name = Some Username
email = someuser@gmail.com

Like # people like this
Deleted user October 10, 2019

Fix my issue. Thanks a lot!

Like James Lenon likes this
Christine Spencer October 10, 2019

James Lenon, that did the trick. Thanks!

Like James Lenon likes this
Alin Baesu October 13, 2019

I also had this issue with 3.2.6, and it seems it has to do with credentials.

You should have the Full Name and Email address fields filled in Options, under Default User Information.

However, in case these fields are already populated and it still crashes on commit, you should leave them blank, make a commit (it will crash), then restart Sourcetree and fill the name and email address again, and that might solve it (it worked for me).

Like # people like this
Peyton Davari October 17, 2019

This works, I didn't have to revert the sourcetree version or anything. 
As Alin suggested, 

Just go to tools -> options and then edit the name and email address fields to leave them blank. Restart. Return to tools -> options and fill the name and email address. Restart again. Then everything worked for me :)

Like # people like this
3 votes
Ewald Ramp October 10, 2019

No need to downgrade!

1. Go to `C:\Users\{your user}`
  2. Find `.config`. If it does not exists, create it
  3. Add the following into it and save it
    [user]
        name = Your Name
        email = your@email.com
  4. (Re)start Sourcetree 3.2.6
2 votes
Aggressor October 1, 2019

I think the crash is related to not having credentials set. The latest version worked on other pcs I had but it crashed on a new one I was setting up. When I switched back to 3.1.3 it asked me for my credentials before committing, whereas the most recent version just crashed. 

1 vote
Johannes Gerk October 10, 2019

Had the same issue, reverted to 3.1.3, which worked, went back to new 3.2 and now that doesn't crash anymore either... might be an account/authentication issue as suggested by others.

Maciej Kolosko October 10, 2019

I can confirm same thing happened for me. I upgraded back to 3.2.6 after initial downgrade to 3.1.3 and things are working fine since.

miguel_brito_globaltronic October 15, 2019

Confirm same result. 

0 votes
Aaron-IPV October 21, 2019

I have been noticing massive CPU spikes/ cores pegged at 100% when committing in the 3.2.6 version, and occassionally 'Git for Windows' going past 100% cpu as well even after closing source tree. Downgrading to 3.1.3 (and also going back to 3.2.6 after) hasn't appeared to solve the issue for me, and I have global gitconfig user settings already in there. 

Aaron-IPV October 22, 2019

Just updated Git to version 2.23.0 and it hasn't helped either.

0 votes
sbreukink October 18, 2019

For me this issue started occuring right after I installed MS visual C++ Build tools (it was working fine before), but downgrading to 3.1.3 solved it.

0 votes
Jared Steffen October 16, 2019

Still not fixed

0 votes
Allan Li September 26, 2019

Sep 2019 - I rolled back from 3.2 to 3.1.3 over here https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/download-archives and it worked

0 votes
Jonathan Osborne January 27, 2017

This is not fixed in 1.9.10.0.  Sourcetree just crashed on consecutive commits.

0 votes
ribbetbit November 21, 2016

If you have multiple repositories opened, moving all to the "File Status" view prior to committing seems to prevent the crash.

0 votes
Thomas Geijtenbeek November 17, 2016

There seems to be a bug report for this issue, please upvote so it will be fixed sooner!

0 votes
Liza Tymchenko November 16, 2016

Same here! Plus mine crashes even when I commit from the "File Status" view. No actual fix yet?

0 votes
Luuk van Aggelen November 11, 2016

Same here. Workaround as mentioned by Vincent Barral works perfectly, but it's quite annoying. 

0 votes
Thomas Geijtenbeek November 9, 2016

Me too! I'm using Alt + Shift + C to commit.

0 votes
Jon Champlin November 8, 2016

Same problem here

0 votes
Till Riemer October 19, 2016

same thing here, but it indeed works fine if commiting from the "File Status" view!

0 votes
ribbetbit October 16, 2016

We have the same issue. I do a commit/push, it crashes, I restart SourceTree and can then complete the push without crashing. Started happening about 2 months or so ago.

0 votes
Jon Marks October 13, 2016

Same here. Happened since the last Sourcetree update. All my fellow developers using different source control clients are laughing at me.

0 votes
Vincent Barral October 13, 2016

I found a "workaround":
crash does not happen If I do the commit from the "File Status" view.

0 votes
Scott October 13, 2016

Ditto.  This just started happening in the last couple of weeks.  It seems to commit, but crashes every single time, and it's really getting annoying.  Please fix this!

0 votes
Stephan Flick October 11, 2016

Same here. Please fix the bug!

0 votes
Remi Vangreveninge October 6, 2016

Same here crashes after commiting, commit is done but i need to restart source tree to push

0 votes
Vincent Barral October 4, 2016

Same here.

0 votes
Lishan Luo September 19, 2016

Same here. Is there a fix yet? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events