Configuring SSH - SourceTree Windows

Hello, I've been reading several threads on this topic. Once the keys (ssh) are generated, does the only way to use them is opening PageAgent and manually inserting the passphrase each time it starts? I've seen that in Tools -> Options -> General, there is a section that says: SSH Client Configuration, and even gives you the option to select your private key. Does this replace the PageAgent? Or what it is that option? By selecting the ppk, don't ask for the passphrase. Thank you very much and best regards.

1 answer

You only have to start Pageant once (per Windows login) to make it available for all apps including SourceTree - what I tend to do is add Pageant to my Startup folder in Windows and give it a parameter of the .ppk key, that way when I log in I have to type the passphrase and then it's available for all apps.

However alternatively if you set the key in Tools > Options > SSH Client inside SourceTree and check the box 'Automatically Start SSH Agent' then if Pageant isn't already running when SourceTree starts, it will start it for you and load this key. You will still need to type the passphrase, this is a security measure which is safeguarding your key from other people should they somehow get hold of it.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

798 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you