It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Commit Error message "Please tell me who you are?"

I am new to Source tree and Git Hub. I am trying to commit changes to a new branch that I made. I get this error:

*** Please tell me who you are.

Run

git config --global user.email "you@example.com"

git config --global user.name "Your Name"

to set your account's default identity.

Omit --global to set the identity only in this repository.

fatal: unable to auto-detect email address (got 'hassan.nabil@HNABIL02-DT.(none)')

source tree set your account's default identity

I ran the git config commands, I also ran the setup wizard but I still get the same error. What am I missing?

3 answers

I know it's too late for you, but I came here with the same problem just now and I wanted to share a solution.

Go to Tools->Options, change your email to something else and save. Now it's fixed. Just go back to options and change your email back to normal, it will still work.

Thanks Paulius, you saved my day :D

Like Bracha Olen likes this

you will find the answer here :http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14662526/why-git-is-not-accepting-me-to-commit-even-after-configuration

This looks more like a bug with SourceTree not being able to read the default config file rather than the user not being logged in.  That file is C:\Users\me\.gitconfig.  You need to enter the file manually to get that data, then change the SourceTree.exe.config also. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Sourcetree for Windows - CVE-2019-11582 - Remote Code Execution vulnerability

A vulnerability has been published today in regards to Sourcetree for Windows.  The goal of this article is to give you a summary of information we have gathered from Atlassian Community as a st...

4,935 views 0 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you