Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Commercial license for SourceTree

tbs-techedge December 19, 2017

Hello

As far as I can see, the only way of using SourceTree, is by creating a bitbucket / atlassian user. SourceTree uses that login to message home every time you start it.

Question 1: Can you add as many users as you want, if you only plan to use SourceTree with your own git repo?

Question 2: Can you use SourceTree when offline?

Question 3: Is it possible to buy SourceTree, to avoid having to create an user and to be able to use it offline? The company I am working for is looking for a good GIT client and doesn't mind paying for it.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 19, 2017

Hi Thomas! You don't need a Bitbucket account to use Sourcetree, but you do need an Atlassian account to register the product. 

Are you referring to users as in different people using Sourcetree? Ideally, every user will have a copy of Sourcetree installed in their machine/profile. This way, each of them will have a copy of the code you're working on and they'll be able to make changes using their account, this way it's easier to track who did what, and it's also safer because in case someone messes up with the code, you can always grab someone else's copy and continue working with it (since it's distributed).

You will be able to use Sourcetree when online, however, if you use it with Bitbucket or Github for example, you won't be able to perform some of the operations such as pull or push. You'll have to wait until you're back online to do so. 

I hope this clarifies your questions, Thomas. Let us know if you need anything else :)

Cheers,

Ana

MJL January 24, 2018

I just want to confirm: Sourcetree is 100% free for commercial use?

Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2018

Yes @MJL, Sourcetree is completely free, even for commercial use.

Have a good day!

Ana

Deleted user August 17, 2019

@Ana Retamal I think you have changed the terms - now Sourcetree seems to require Bitbucket account. At least I just created one, just to be able to keep using Sourcetree.

@tbs-techedge wrote:

Question 3: Is it possible to buy SourceTree, to avoid having to create an user and to be able to use it offline? The company I am working for is looking for a good GIT client and doesn't mind paying for it.

I would also prefer simply buying a product over artificially getting it "free" by claiming an account I don't need. Simplicity, please.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events