Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloning repository error: This is not a valid source path/ URL (Mac OSX, SourceTree 2.4)

Andre dos Santos
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 8, 2016

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to clone a repository created with the C4Science service, without any success. Whenever I input the URL, either the https or ssh, I get the error: "this is not a valid source path/URL". The https log shows up empty, while the latter yields the following: 

"fatal: 'git@c4science....' does not appear to be a git repository

fatal: Could not read from remote repository."

I have tried using the system Git (version 2.10), then resetting to the embedded one (2.8). I have linked my GitHub, Atlassian and C4Science accounts (perhaps there was an authorization issue). I have tried a clean install of all SourceTree, Git, mercurial, even updated Python (for Mercurial). I have also tried deleting my SourceTree Library files in order to reinitialise the first set up wizard, to no avail. 

My colleagues managed to clone the repository from a fresh install with no issue, following the exact same installations steps as given in the documentation. Also note that we all skipped the original BitBucket/GitHub login step during setup. Is there something I am missing? Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

More info:

SourceTree V 2.4

OSX El Capitan V 10.11.6

EDIT: Solved! I just had to install version 2.3 of SourceTree and it worked immediately.

12 answers

20 votes
HeLI_Software
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 22, 2016

I had the same issue!

You have to open up preferences(cmd+,) then go to the accounts tab and click on the account you want to use, then click "Edit" and locate where it says Protocol if that is set to SSH you have to change it to HTTPS.

That fixed the issue for me.

Phil Bergner December 23, 2016

This was already set for me, didn't solve the issue unfortunately.

Andre dos Santos
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 24, 2016

That unfortunately didn't work for me when I tried it.

What solved it in the end was giving up on Version 2.4 and installing 2.3 instead. It worked instantly with the previous version.

Hope that helped!

Like Kevin Goyvaerts likes this
g5coderswartz January 13, 2017

This seems to be broken for me as well with version 2.4 on mac
I tried to swap the account to default and to https but had no luck, I'm still getting the same error. 

brakingahead
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 6, 2017

Switch to authentication mode from OAuth to Basic. It will work!

Like # people like this
Ligia Franco
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 18, 2017

Thanks! That fixed the issue for me.

catfoostudio
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 11, 2017

preferences > accounts > edit > oauth to Basic 

and SSH to HTTPS 

fixed this for me!

Like # people like this
Jose Capistrano
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 29, 2018

This fixed the issue for me!

Mladen Janjetovic
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 16, 2018

thanks, man. I always forget and google for this :)

Deleted user November 17, 2018

Thank you man!

ldchrist
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 15, 2020

Yep! Fixed for me!

NawalJAhmed
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 2, 2020

fixed for me

andyhumm
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 14, 2020

Thanks @HeLI_Software , tried everything but this fixed it for me!

7 votes
Sashi Bala
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 6, 2018

Had similar issue on version 2.4.8. I installed git on the machine and it worked after that. You could do this by going to Source Tree --> Tools --> Options --> Git -->Use Embedded git (If you haven't installed git on your machine) or Use System Git (If you have installed git on your machine.)

teraiyamayurcontact
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 16, 2019

Thanks works fine

Like # people like this
Moses Paguaga
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 25, 2020

This solved my particular issue. A million thanks.

Like Jawad Nasser likes this
Jawad Nasser
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 29, 2021

Here in 2021 to say this fixed my issue as well, tyvm

Tiannan Xu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 27, 2021

Thanks, it fixed my issue!

3 votes
Daniel_Rammer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 25, 2018

Updating your embedded Git might also fix the issue.

0 votes
Karsnen Junior
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 13, 2018

For me, I had to edit my account under 'preferences'. 

My settings lookSourceTree Settings.png like this. 

Balaji Narayanan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 26, 2019

This worked for me. Changing from "HTTPS" to "SSH".

0 votes
Deleted user August 9, 2018

For me, the problem was this: I generated a key using Sourcetree.  It named the file that contained the key with a SPACE in the filename (it ended with " -Bitbucket".  That space messed up its own ability to find the key file.  I solved it by editing the file ~/.ssh/config and putting double-quote marks around the filename:  "xxxx -Bitbucket"    It then worked!!!!

0 votes
gabmichels
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 10, 2018

Alright, so I just ran into this problem (once again). Same as Jay neither embedded nor local git would make a difference.
On this note: I let sourcetree create a SSH key and add it to my github on my behalf. It was listed, my ssh agent would list the key. Was looking all good, but it would still fail to clone.

What solved it in the end was deleting the ssh key from my github and adding it manually again.

Now it works fine.

0 votes
Jay Collier April 13, 2018

Same problem with Sourcetree Mac 2.7.1. Using locally-installed or embedded results in same error.

0 votes
Deleted user April 3, 2018

chmod 600 ~/.ssh/id_rsa

0 votes
g5coderswartz January 13, 2017

How do I downgrade to v2.3? I cannot seem to find a download link, I found a list for Windows, but nothing for Mac yet.

0 votes
duongel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 29, 2016

I have the same issue with v2.4 and now I'm trying to downgrade to 2.3 where everything worked just fine..

0 votes
htaiwan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 26, 2016

I face the same issue, I will try 2.3. What's wrong with 2.4 ??? 

0 votes
Phil Bergner December 23, 2016

@Andre dos Santos were you ever able to resolve this?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events